Safe Oil Pressure

car_maniac

Hey Guys, I'm kinda new to the site. I purchased an '03 Sss about a month ago as a project. It's a good starter, but needs some work. It's completely stock. It's got a little over 213,xxx miles. When it starts cold it has about 60lbs. oil pressure with no noise or smoke. When it gets warm it has about 18lbs. at idle and 40lbs. when driving. My question is should I be starting to think about a rebuild or are these pressures normal with some miles on the motors?

normal is about that but a bit higher when warm idle , should be around 50-55 cold idle , 40 ish hot idle and 60 hot high rpms .

sounds like you may be headed for a freshed up lq9 .

im fighting the opposite issue , ive got over 100 psi @ cold idle.

this is the for sale section

what you selling ?

I'm not selling anything, just forgot to pick a section and it got put here. I was asking about oil pressure. Yes, it's the LQ9, 04CHASE. Thanks for your help. looks like I'll start getting ready for it.

Edited by robertsonauto (see edit history)

Welcome to the site, Robert. pepsicheer.gif

Don't fret the section your post wound up in too much. You'll get that figured out soon enough.

Looks like the right person found your post, anyway. The site is a treasure chest of info on these trucks. Just takes a bit of digging sometimes to find it.

What are your plans for your truck?

If I remember correct, the minimum safe operating pressure is 10# per 1000rpm. Personally I think it is low but that is what GM says. Mine at idle is around 52 cold and 45 hot at idle, and up to 90 or more wot.

You should be ok but a word of advice is not to use Fram filters and on your next oil change cut the filter open and check it for any brass looking shavings.

Thanks fro the welcoming! My name is Mke Robertson.This site will be very useful to me. I really appreciate all of the responses. Sinr98, I already changed the oil and checked the filter, everything was good and I found no shavings. That was one of the first things I checked.

I've already gone through the rearend and went with aftermarket axles and replaced all the seals and rotors and pads. The motor will be in the works this summer. Unless I see some problems, I'll do new rings and bearings polish the crank a little and a new oil pump. I'll probably have the heads opened up and polished since I plan on a blower cam with an SC. With that being done, I'm sure the trans will be next. I got the truck at a really good price and this is what I was looking ot do so it wil be the way I want it.

If anyone can help, I'm also looking for a plating company who will do black chrome. I'm keeping the stock silver 20's but will find another set where the silver or chrome is coming off, and I want to have them black chromed. That should look good on a black truck.

Again, thanks for everyone's help and input.