Sloppy Steering

206SS

Recently my 05 Sss has started getting some play in the steering wheel, doesnt matter if im on the freeway, driving around town or stopped. it also seems like its riding rougher in the front than usual and it drives me insane :banghead: . My first though is the tie rod ends, which I know how to check if theyre bad (haven't gotten the chance to do it yet), but I don't know what to look for to check all the other parts.

At first I thought it might be the notorious steering shaft issue, but I haven't been hearing any clunking (yet) but i guess its still possible thats part of the problem.

For reference, I only have about 44k miles on it right now and its awd

I'm trying to save some $$$ by avoiding taking it to a shop, so anything you guys have would be appreciated

Fireman31: The tires are only about 5 months old, still plenty of tred left on them, still in good shape

Paintchip: I'm not familiar with the steering shaft trick. You have a link to another thread for it?

Fireman31: The tires are only about 5 months old, still plenty of tred left on them, still in good shape

Paintchip: I'm not familiar with the steering shaft trick. You have a link to another thread for it?

I think he was talking of this one. Steering Clunk Fix

So I did start to hear a little bit of clunking last night and earlier today, I did the clunk fix and the steering tightened up a little bit. It still feels like theres some slop in the wheel, but not as much. Also, it didnt fix the clunk. Maybe I didnt stroke it enough? (thats what she said) :jester:

So I did start to hear a little bit of clunking last night and earlier today, I did the clunk fix and the steering tightened up a little bit. It still feels like theres some slop in the wheel, but not as much. Also, it didnt fix the clunk. Maybe I didnt stroke it enough? (thats what she said) :jester:

Mines been clunking for a while now but I havent felt any difference in steering. Might be something else on your truck. If you feel the need, I called the dealer to ask for a fix for mine and they said they have a new steering shaft out that shouldnt clunk.................right...its 100$ give or take and an hour free time.