Ss Brake Lines On

JroCk817

Well my buddy and I did my brake line conversion and painted the calipers this past Friday.. The lines themselves were easy, except for the rear center line. My damn spare tire would not come down! first time ive tried but the cable came down fine.. the tire only came down about 3 inches and stuck there.. a few kicks punches and pry bar tries later.. still there. so we worked around it.

Got the calipers apinted and back on.. lines attached and began to bleed the lines. Passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front... well every one of them bled PERFECT. Topped off the fluid, got it off the lift and was going to go for a test drive before i bedded the pads.. Well once i turned the key the brake pedal went to the floor, "SERVICE BREAK SYSTEM" flashed.. and i have no brakes. we were both stumped at that point. Called a few guys.. they said to try and bleed again with the truck on and the reservoir cap on. so we did that. NO FN DICE.. it firmed up during the bleed process but once i let it sit the pedal went right to the floor again. M16.gifM16.gif Went online after that to find out what the hell could be wrong. We found that something with the ABS system could have to be reset if the master cylinder went dry at all during the process.. well it didnt so we figured that couldn't be the case. we gave up for the night and decided to try again in the morning. Went ahead and bled them again with the same results... Figured we would try to reset the ABS module. The scan tool he has didn't have the right program so OFF TO THE DEALER I WENT.. almost died twice haha.. seeing i had very little stopping power. kept her about 25 mph with the flashers on cool.gif. Turns out that was the problem. They reset the ABS with the TECH 2 and power bled the system. Stops on a dime now! .. well half dollar i guess... still need a hydroboost to make it all better.

Now correct me if im wrong but most of the posts I've read on SSS.com about stainless lines were pretty straight forward.. Take off old, install new, and bleed. Why the hell id this have to happen to my truck!!? ahh well i guess.. shes all good now.

couple quick pics... ill have the rest up once i get the tires mounted and wheels on.

REDCALIPER.jpgCoudn't get this to post the tight way... just strain your nneck a bit...

newwheelcolor.jpg

DUCT.jpg

if you were wondering about your spare tire...it has a theft lock on it..so you gotta crank it up and down around 3 times to get the pin to release and the tire will come down. i figured this one out after i got a flat tire at work in -30 cel. but i think i may have to do this conversion soon! looks awesome!

Thanks for the info Willy...

Spare and Hitch delete.. hmm hopefully this time next year! and I will have the rubber on em today. Should have time to put them on the truck sunday

ya man no problem! on my truck i just did a roll pan and currently the spare tire is in the bed of my truck. cleaned up the rear of the truck and lost a bit of weight too!

PAINT THE ROTORS. if not will rust out.

also if you bleed the system and master cylinder went dry you will need a tech 2 to bleed abs system

Knew i was forgetting something.. ill have to pick up some high temp black this weekend

Yea thats the thing.. the master never went dry! I made sure to keep fluid in there for that reason. Still needed the tech 2.. must have been a fluke thing i guess