Rebuild Or Replace Lq4 And Tranny

haul@ss

2 members have voted

1. 1. What Should I Do?

• Completely Replace Powertrain
    • Completely Rebuild Powertrain
    • ONLY Replace Known Weak Parts

If you guys don't know, I sold my truck a few months back since I moved to Cali. It was my intention to just purchase a more gas efficient car or sports bike in the meantime but now I have a kid on the way so I was looking into getting an 02-07 classic Yukon Denali.

Most of my searching has led me to high mileage ones, 100k-140k range which is more than I would like. I know it would be hard to find something less on something that old down here in the lower 48. I like the style of these better than the newer ones, but want something reliable for the long run. As much as I want to make it faster, I'm looking to be more practical. I know it depends on the condition of the current parts, but generally speaking, would I be better off REPLACING the engine and transmission with something new or low mileage, or just rebuilding it all?

Things to consider:

- I will not be looking for extra power/speed, unless of course the cost is the same as getting a stock part

- I will NOT be doing ANY of the labor. I don't know enough and quite frankly don't want to mess anything up haha

- I don't really want to piece together a whole setup, rather just make simple and easy purchases so that I don't have to worry about forgetting to buy a certain part

- Looking for LONG TERM, daily reliability

Some other questions:

- On average, what mileage do these things usually need to be replaced or rebuilt?

- What parts are essential to be examined for replacement/rebuild; what's first to break?

- Any recommendations for parts purchases besides junkyards/craigslist?

- Any recommendations for shops to do the work in the South Bay or Sacramento area? (I live in the bay but will be staying in Sac for the summer)

Thanks!

I'm looking at buying another SS this weekend with 200k miles on it, its a one owner with service records and it seems to have been taken really good care of. I'm getting a steal on it and am going to start saving pennies as soon as I take delivery in anticipation of the tranny and engine needing replaced. A GM performance LQ9 and 4L85 tranny are about $7k not including installation. I think when the time comes i'll just have the tranny rebuilt and bulletproofed. AS for the engine, strokin it to a 427 would be fun...

sup bro haven't talked to u in a while.

hows cali brah?

just wondering how much are u willing to spend on a truck?

i ask this cause you can get a car (4 door) for pretty cheap and with low mileage and it will also work with hauling a kid/ family around + u will get way better gas mileage than a suv. thats what i would do esp now that gas is prob gonna hit 5 bucks in the summer.......

Edited by 10zin (see edit history)

I'm looking at buying another SS this weekend with 200k miles on it, its a one owner with service records and it seems to have been taken really good care of. I'm getting a steal on it and am going to start saving pennies as soon as I take delivery in anticipation of the tranny and engine needing replaced. A GM performance LQ9 and 4L85 tranny are about $7k not including installation. I think when the time comes i'll just have the tranny rebuilt and bulletproofed. AS for the engine, strokin it to a 427 would be fun...

200k huh? Good to know. Only thing I'm worried about is mine going out before that, so I dont wanna wait til it does. A 427 and 85 sound sick, hell even an lq9! Buuuut gotta stay practical haha.

Ten, Cali is good, love the weather better than ak that's for sure. How u been?

I'm gonna need like.. A 7 seater haha.. As for gas mileage, I'm planning on getting an r6 for my main vehicle haha. What did u have before? I don't remember

200k huh? Good to know. Only thing I'm worried about is mine going out before that, so I dont wanna wait til it does. A 427 and 85 sound sick, hell even an lq9! Buuuut gotta stay practical haha.

Ten, Cali is good, love the weather better than ak that's for sure. How u been?

I'm gonna need like.. A 7 seater haha.. As for gas mileage, I'm planning on getting an r6 for my main vehicle haha. What did u have before? I don't remember

good to hear brah....... im doing good. when i got to AZ after leaving AK i was loving it always hot and being able to ride year long.

one day ill move to cali lol

i had a r6 i got a gsxr now tho. DAMN u off making lots of babies lol

Why not just do a leak and compression test on the motor. If it checks out clean, just run it and keep up with the maintenance, if it shows sings of low compression, off balance compression or leaks, then plan on rebuilding.