160 Degree Thermostat

cb2big4u

My tuner said that he wouldn't recommend any lower than a 180* thermostat. That there was no benefit. I have already bought the 160* thermostat through summit racing, 5 gallons of prestone dex-cool, and some royal purple additive. What are your thoughts? Should I go through the trouble of sending it all back or say f*%$ it and do it?

I do live in Florida and it gets pretty hot and humid down here.

Edited by cb2big4u (see edit history)

Looking for more input. Already leaning towards doing it. After reading a few other threads, one in particular that zippy posted on, saying the trucks with factory e-fans turn on at 227 and that the cooling system does all the work unless it gets too hot. Does this mean I do not need to retune for a lower thermostat?

a 160* tstat allows an engine to run in the 175-180* range,

a 180* tstat allows an engine to run in the 185-195* range

a stock 187~190 tstat keeps our engines in the ~210* range, the hotter the engine the better on emissions it is, the colder the better for power at the cost of emissions.

I thought the stock thermostat was 195*??

You will be fine with the 160* thermostat, and yes you can run it without a tune until you are able to get one. 5 gallons of DexCool? Thats a bit much don't you think? 2-1/2 gallons or so pre-mixed should be plenty....