Firearms and reloading

sprayed99

I don't reload them. If you do reload these how much can you do them for? I would be interested in getting custom made bullets and have some friends that would prob be interested

I don't reload them. If you do reload these how much can you do them for? I would be interested in getting custom made bullets and have some friends that would prob be interested

Unfortunately you have to have a federal issued license to do this. I do however reload for friend local, but they supply their parts and I show them how to reload... So basically they use my equipment.

Back in my shooting and reloading days. (Long time ago), I reloaded as much for performance mods to a give round, and the enjoyment of the hobby, as for cost savings. It's amazing how flexible, and open to tweaking, rounds like a 222 and 30-06 can be. You can load for anything from brush busting slow and heavy to light and fast flat trajectory for open field varmint shooting.

Question for you guys that reload. I have a custom 6.5 Jap rifle that I have not shot in 20+ years. I bought 5-6 boxes of shells when I used to shoot regularly. Do you think they would still be good? Do bullets ever go bad just from sitting? They've been in a cool dry place and look fine but I don't know anything about shelf life. Rifle is still excellent. Been cleaned and oiled pretty regular just not actually fired. Shells were around $30.00 a box way back then. I'd hate to throw them out. Any suggestions?

Question for you guys that reload. I have a custom 6.5 Jap rifle that I have not shot in 20+ years. I bought 5-6 boxes of shells when I used to shoot regularly. Do you think they would still be good? Do bullets ever go bad just from sitting? They've been in a cool dry place and look fine but I don't know anything about shelf life. Rifle is still excellent. Been cleaned and oiled pretty regular just not actually fired. Shells were around $30.00 a box way back then. I'd hate to throw them out. Any suggestions?

If your brass is clean, (no corrosion), you can probably be certain that the rounds have been good and dry.

I don't think that I would worry too much about it but I would try to find a vice on a shooting bench to clamp the rifle up in and fire it for the first time with a long piece of string around the trigger.

Or you could go to a good gunsmith with both rifle and ammo and ask him to give the rifle a good look and pull a bullet and check the load and primer. You'l have to keep in mind that he would probably be real happy to sell you fresh ammo.

Is your rifle a retired military weapon?

If your brass is clean, (no corrosion), you can probably be certain that the rounds have been good and dry.

I don't think that I would worry too much about it but I would try to find a vice on a shooting bench to clamp the rifle up in and fire it for the first time with a long piece of string around the trigger.

Or you could go to a good gunsmith with both rifle and ammo and ask him to give the rifle a good look and pull a bullet and check the load and primer. You'l have to keep in mind that he would probably be real happy to sell you fresh ammo.

Is your rifle a retired military weapon?

Thanks for the info. Really helps. The rifle was picked up from a soldier in WWII by my Uncle. All Japanese markings on it. Curly Maple stock thats been hand carved/engraved. It's about the same power as a 30-30. Good brush gun. Also has the military strap and original canvas(?) case. I've got pics of it but I can't figure out how to post pics in this new skin. :confused: Think I got it.

post-1661-0-19777000-1335587244_thumb.jpg

post-1661-0-65995800-1335587259_thumb.jpg

post-1661-0-51190300-1335587295_thumb.jpg

post-1661-0-06781600-1335587353_thumb.jpg

Your reading my mind with the pictures, Bob. I was going to ask for some.

Great story as to how you came to have it.

I am not familiar with your particular rifle but did some searching and came up with this, and thought you might be interested. http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Arisaka-Assembly-Disassembly-Manual/dp/0949749265

Don't know if you are interested in pursueing reloading your spent brass, but ask a gunsmith about the strength of the rifles chamber before going much hotter than stock loads.

Here's a little more about the 6.5 round, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5%C3%9750mm_Arisaka