Exhaust Woes...

I recently finished my build and now have exhaust woes. My engine is N/A and heavily modified with LTH, no cats and a Corsa Sport Cat-Back. I think the build quality and advertisement of no drone is spot on but it is ridiculous at startup (4am) and WOT. The truck runs great but its a bit too much....but don't want to impact performance. I would sell it and buy the Corsa Touring but they are no longer making it. I had the Magnaflow system on my truck initially (much quieter but more drone than Corsa)) but all the welds broke and was gassing me out of the cab. I don't want to go back to that system. I have listened to every youtube vid possible but none are really applicable due to my modifications. Others have suggested putting in an X-pipe but we have uneven intermediate pipes and for them to work as designed they just can't be thrown in the mix. The Corsa Sport is very directional (right side exit) and was wondering if I removed the tail and put a 3" turn down after the muffler, would it be better (omni-directional) or worse since its bouncing off the ground? I do not want to induce drone or cabin noise. Any insight?

Modifications:

2006 GMC VMAX 6.0 LQ9 2WD 4L65E

Stock Short Block

Custom Cam - 235/239 .621/.624 112 +3

AFR230 Heads w/ 8019 springs

Heads milled to 61 cc's for a final CR of 11.3 to 1

Hollow Stem 2.080 Intake Valves

Cometic .040 Head Gasket

Comp Short Travel Lifters

Manton 11/32 Custom Length Pushrods

Yella Terra Ultralight Shaftrockers

TR55 Spark Plugs

Fast 102mm LSXRT Intake

NW 102mm TB

Fast LSXRT Fuel Rail Kit

Bosch Flow Matched 42# @ 3 bar injectors

X-Link 2.1

Custom CAI

Dynatech 1 ¾ Ceramic Coated Headers with no Cats

Corsa Sport Cat-Back

Zippy Shift Kit

Billet Servos

3000 Vigilante Stall

4.56 Gears in a 9.5” Rear End

P305/45/22 (33”) Tires

prestinb (Brandon)

Edited by prestinb (see edit history)

xxssmaniacxx,

That is the problem...all websites state that they are "In Stock" but they actually don't have any. When a person orders the item they turn around and order it from Corsa. Corsa has discontinued the exhaust system. Just got off the phone with Carid.com and they found the same to be true. I would love to find one some where but keep coming up short.

prestinb (Brandon)

Edited by prestinb (see edit history)

I am somewhat experiencing the same problem. I love the sound of the exhaust (Corsa Sport), and not much drone, but it does seem really raspy, like it doesnt have enough back pressure? I have a Supercharged LQ9 with about 605hp. (Lots of mods to list) and i didnt have any Raspiness until i gutted the cats. Maybe High-Flow cats will fix your problem? As for me, it doesnt bother me enough to make a change.

Your exhaust is always going to be louder at first start up. Your engine is cold and runs at a slightly higher RMP until its warmed up. As stated above you should put some cats back on and it might help it slightly. Unfortunately that's just the nature of the beast with Corsa sport exhaust.

Options:

1. Try to find someone with a Corsa Touring system and trade them.
  2. Add a second muffler (not sure I like this idea)
  3. Create some sort of resonator or insert for the tip to muffle the sound at start up (then remove before you leave the house)
  4. Add high flow cats

And just to clarify for everyone he is not concerned about drone. His concern is how loud it is at start up and WOT.

Silverado777,

Thanks for the options. I believe I like option number one the best. I do have the dynatech high-flow cats that I removed...just really don't want to put them back in. I want my cake and eat it too...haha! Also thanks for the clarification! :pepsicheer:

prestinb (Brandon)

Ah. okay. Because i too dont get any drone. The corsa is great for no drone. But yes, it is a bit loud. Ive had people ask me if its straight piped. :cry2:

But atleast its only at WOT!!!!

My truck is cammed, and the start up is high RPM and lots of roar. Haha.

Well...for my own amusement and test purposes...I removed my tail section and replaced it with a 3" turndown off the back of the Corsa Sport muffler. With this system...the turndown is right before the axle. End result...I put the tail section back on. In addition to the normal Corsa Sport sound...there was also a very low sonic pulse that created drone at idle. It wasn't too bad driving around but any drone is bad drone...

prestinb (Brandon)

Prestin B

I was linked to this from Performancetrucks.net because I have a thread there trying to find someone to trade a Corsa Sport for my Corsa Touring...if you are interested PM me or let me know

I bought a Corsa Touring to put on my 2004 Denali, but I know deep down that I really want the Sport exhaust...so I can ship you the Touring, and then you can ship me the Sport if that works for you

Edited by dirtyblackhoe (see edit history)

Thanks Silverado777! I appreciate the nice find. After further discussion with him it seemed like everything was going to work but I called Corsa to verify. They stated that as long as the muffler was from the #14289 exhaust system, it would work great. The muffler that he had was from an exhaust system from a 2008 5.3LSilverado. Corsa stated while the outside dimensions are the same, the internal baffles are different and they couldn't guarantee the outcome. I am going to continue to wait for another opportunity.

Go to an exhaust shop and talk to them about a resonator. I needed to quite my corsa touring, ARH headers, no cats down and eliminate some of the rasp. Had a resonator welded in and all is good. Cost...$80.

Gasemall,

I may have to do this if I can't find a Touring muffler...I don't want to have to try another exhaust system.

prestinb (Brandon)