Starting a build on my ss need some advice!

Akslowroller

So I just bought my 05 ss with 47k on it. I've wanted one forever. Now that I have it I want it to dominate the rest of them in my little town. I am looking to do a super charger and tranny upgrade but not sure what other upgrades I should do. Like what would work well with the supercharger to make the most power and such. The sc I think I'm going with is a kenne bell. It sounds like a really solid unit. I just picked up a 4l80 today and am going to go through it to make sure it's all good. But any help or suggestions would be great! Oh I guess I should specify what kind of hp I'm looking for. Some where around 500 or a little more. I just want to run 12's.

Sorry to jack the thread. Lets get back on topic. So we got your HP goals. How much are you looking to spend? Do you have any other long term goals for the truck?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its going to be a daily driver, you can just do a bolt on radix or a sts turbo or procharger. If you wanna keep in NA, then the bolt on list of course (LTs, CAI, Tune, cam, etc) And i highly recommend getting a custom tune through Zippy or the like. Dont stoop to handheld tuners (Superchips, Diablo etc) Their junk compared to custom tune and are the same cost if not at higher cost. But my .2, go with forced induction. Best bang for your buck and Gen lll LS motors love to be boosted!!! Plus you'll need it if you wanna keep up :thumbs:

So I talked to my tranny guy and he asked what I wanted to do with it. Defenitly gone through and a shift kit but is there any other mods that would be beneficial, well besides the proper stall for my cam.

Its going to be a daily driver. And money is always a concern but I have around 8grand left as a budget. And I was also wondering how much of a benefit it is purchasing the intercooler with the sc kit?

You will need to beef up the rear end. Get a true track locker, a TA Girdle and a stud kit and you should be good. And I wouldn't buy a SC without an intercooler, they are pretty cheap and enable you to run more boost.

probably wont get 12s with a cam.. buy a used magnacharger radix there going for like 3000~$. good blower if you want reliability and drive ability with good power. buy some #60 injectors and throw a 2.8 pulley on it youl be where you want to be. the transmission is the most important thing because if you plan on running 12s youl have to pulley the blower down which means your stock trans wont last. mine toasted 8 months after my radix. ive had my FLT unit for 2 years now and i love it. my rear end and front end is still 100% stock other than some mobil 1 gear oil

probably wont get 12s with a cam.. buy a used magnacharger radix there going for like 3000~$. good blower if you want reliability and drive ability with good power. buy some #60 injectors and throw a 2.8 pulley on it youl be where you want to be. the transmission is the most important thing because if you plan on running 12s youl have to pulley the blower down which means your stock trans wont last. mine toasted 8 months after my radix. ive had my FLT unit for 2 years now and i love it. my rear end and front end is still 100% stock other than some mobil 1 gear oil

Agreed. 8k is a good amount of money. To get 12s, go with the radix w/ intercooler kit w/ 2.8 pulley, volant CAI, cam of choice, 60lb injectors, torque converter around 2600 stall, meth injection kit is always an option, Long tube headers and full exhaust, and go through the trans if it hasnt been built yet. Get the truck tuned by zippy and you'll be in the 12s for sure. Thats a good streetable truck IMO. Then you'll have some extra cash to customize (wheels, brake kit, cowl hood, sound system, etc)

Yeah a kenne bell is on my future. I haven't figured out what long tubes I want to go with. I haven't really found a set of the quality I'm looking for. Like pacesetter and obx. And some one said something about beefing up my 4l80 but what does that mean. What should I change. I was already planning on a stall for my cam and a shift kit. But beyond that I have no idea what else could be done. And does any one know where to find some better looking valve covers??

im gonna be the guy to tell you the 80e is not the best for you. the 80e is good for people who are pushing hard power like 11s other than that it will rob your truck of power with its massive first gear and make your truck feel slow. someone looking for high 12s would be fine with a built 65 from a reputable company