Buying a silverado SS, good choice?

sputnik2212

Hello there!

I just recently registred to this forum i tought that asking the pros would be a really good idea!

I have a couple questions concerning the Silverado SS.

First of all, Is it a trustable truck? does it have mechanic problems often or overall it doesnt have alot of problems?

Are they long lasting trucks? I'm watching for one that has 195 000 kilometres (2003) on it and has a couple goodies on it, how long can a truck with that much milage last?Are they expensive to repair if i ever have problems with the truck in question?If i use it during winter is it a big problem? are they getting rusty really fast?

Is there any major problems i should know about before buying one?

Like what exactly do i have to inspect?

One of my friend has one and never really asked if he had problems but i know lately he had transmission problems. it was jerking or something so i believe that the diff?

Im not buying this truck to abuse it, I will probably put headers and exhaust line for the sound and just roll around showing it off. I had my mazdassped protege for 4 years now an I'm getting tired of a little sports car and this is going to be my first truck.

thanks alot for your help

sputnik2212

Welcome from TN! I would say for the most part, out trucks are as truckable as any Silvy. There are several members who "work" their trucks, haul boats and campers, etc. Reliabilty is great since there are very few parts not used on standard trucks or HD trucks. The front differential carrier bearings are bad to give trouble inthe 03 and 04 models. Mine had to be replaced. Listen for a whine in the front end. If it has it, which almost get it from one time to another, it is a costly repair.

Transmissions are typically the "weak link" in the drivetrains. Under stock conditions and non-abuse, they are fine. If you really build up the power with a supercharger or turbo, it will need beefing up first.

Transfer case is the last of the drivetrain to be concerned with. if it is operating smoothly and not noisy, it should be fine.

Welcome from TN! I would say for the most part, out trucks are as truckable as any Silvy. There are several members who "work" their trucks, haul boats and campers, etc. Reliabilty is great since there are very few parts not used on standard trucks. The front differential carrier bearings are bad to give trouble inthe 03 and 04 models. Mine had to be replaced. Listen for a whine in the front end. If it has it, which almost get it from one time to another, it is a costly repair.

Transmissions are typically the "weak link" in the drivetrains. Under stock conditions and non-abuse, they are fine. If you really build up the power with a supercharger or turbo, it will need beefing up first.

Transfer case is the last of the drivetrain to be concerned with. if it is operating smoothly and not noisy, it should be fine.

Edited by MARTYW (see edit history)

all right thanks for the head ups! in his description it says he has 'K&N cold air kit, updated and TUNED pcm, T&A diff girdle' so i guess the pcm is a superchip? and is the T&A diff girdle an upgraded differential part so i dont have problems or anything?

Also the bearring carrier as you said is costly, but how costly? $500 , 1-2k?

hes asking 12k is that affordable considering the mileage?

thanks

sputnik2212

Edited by sputnik2212 (see edit history)

Front carrier bearing run between 600 to 800 on average. The tuned ecm would be a custom tune on your factory ecm, which is a good thing. i would want to find out who tuned it for him for sure. The T/A rear girdle is a nice touch. They add some stability to the brearing cradles. Sounds like a it has some nice add ons. I have the same K&N kit. I want a T/A cradle, just havent gotten around to getting one. Find out about the tuner and it all sounds good to me! Good luck!

Front carrier bearing run between 600 to 800 on average. The tuned ecm would be a custom tune on your factory ecm, which is a good thing. i would want to find out who tuned it for him for sure. The T/A rear girdle is a nice touch. They add some stability to the brearing cradles. Sounds like a it has some nice add ons. I have the same K&N kit. I want a T/A cradle, just havent gotten around to getting one. Find out about the tuner and it all sounds good to me! Good luck!

12k is not to bad. I'm my opion I would have nothing but my truck is pretty dn quick looks good and no trucks turns peoples heads more than these. Get it you won't regret it

ya and the sound it produces... omg so amazing i can't wait for the reply lol

are the insurances really high? might be for me i'm 20 3 speeding tickets and lost my liscence 6 months ago :O

thanks

sputnik2212

Edited by sputnik2212 (see edit history)

ya and the sound it produces... omg so amazing i can't wait for the reply lol

are the insurances really high? might be for me i'm 20 3 speeding tickets and lost my liscence 6 months ago :O

thanks

sputnik2212

I'm pretty sure your insurance is going to be high then, no matter what vehicle you own.

I'm pretty sure your insurance is going to be high then, no matter what vehicle you own.

they were 865 for the year last time i don't know yet i already had 3 speeding tickets at the time.. i dont think losing my liscence will make them jump too high :O

im thinkin like 1200$ max i have to see with different companies..

they were 865 for the year last time i don't know yet i already had 3 speeding tickets at the time.. i dont think losing my liscence will make them jump too high :O

im thinkin like 1200$ max i have to see with different companies..

Heck, $1200 is less than what I pay for mine, with no tickets.So if you get it for that, I'd be happy.