1985 IROC-Z clutch help

I know this is not an SSS however, ive always gotten great advice from this board so i figured id give it a shot. I recently purchased a 1985 IrocZ 305HO-T5-3.73 posi to tinker with during the summer. Car is in great shape only 77,000 miles and i got her for $1,000. All the body work is done and shes all primed up. The clutch was obviously all but gone and i had a "ticking" sound coming from the tranny area which i assumed was a bad throwout bearing. So Fri at work we were slow so i went ahead and decided to put the clutch in. The clutch kit came w/ pressure plate, clutch, pilot bushing and throwout bearing. I was able to get the tranny back in Fri and went back up to the shop this morning to button everything else up, driveshaft, top off fluid, and put center console back in. So now to the problem, I started her up to back it off the lift and the ticking is worse and the damn thing wont catch reverse. WTF! Does anyone have any insight to what the problem might be? Im pretty sure i got everything back in correctly, it was pretty straight forward. A hell of a lot easier than the AWD system in the truck. I almost forgot to mention that before the replacement the car never went into reverse smoothly but would find it after releasing and depressing the clutch pedal a second time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mark

• 2 weeks later...

With a few of my Manual cars they like to go int a top gear like 4th or 5th before you go into reverse. After you try that, if it still has issues, it could be a shift fork issue as well. Has the shifter ever popped out of gear on you before?