Got Rear Ended Today

Yea the shop I took it to said it was a possibility, they did say they can get a new frame and swap everything over. If they total it I will probably buy it back and either swap all my aftermarket stuff onto another one or at least strip it for parts. I have 94K on it.

Swapping a new frame and such is a huge expense the insurance company will refuse to pay. The insurance company wouldnt let me buy mine back as it was 8 years old and also a 04. Atleast here in Illinois any vehicle has to be 9 years old or older to be bought back. Check with the state first, or your insurance company, dont go by what the other partys insurance tells you. I would get a lawyer as the insurance will try and screw you on what the truck is worth and if its fixable they will want to use used parts.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

I just went through this with my wife's car two months ago actually. It was a 2010 Kia Soul, it was totaled and I had the option of buying it back. The insurance company didn't even jerk me around on it, I got very close to what the car cost me new.

They told me a new frame was 3,000 and it was about 30 hours of labor to swap. We seem to have some pretty good laws for insurance here, they have to pay for the going dealer rate of the car plus any documented aftermarket stuff which I have a lot of. They also have to pay you the difference the car is worth with the now tainted record if they do end up fixing it.

No updates until next Saturday as I will be out civilization until then on a camping trip. I will update this when I have some more info though.

In my case her insurance only replaced my new emergency lights, radio and the install for both. The new windshiled, tires, and oil cooler line i replaced 2 days prior to the accident they wouldnt give me a penny. Do your research and dont believe a word the insurance says unless its your own company. just a FYI, insurance companies go to NADA.com to get the value of what your vehicle is worth. My insurance company and hers told me this.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a chance to talk to the shop that is working on it today. They were able to pull the frame and box out without using any heat, the guy was very surprised with how well it turned out. I am going to go take a look at it tomorrow, he is also going to be doing the roll pan for me as it will be cheaper than swapping the bumper in anyway, that and one piece of cladding will be getting replaced. Anyone have opinions on if I should have it all molded or leave two slits where the tailgate has lines? I will also drive it a couple days before signing off on any of the repairs done, I am going to have a shop check over the drive train as well for me.