Educate Me..

SOKSOFF

Hey forum fam. I own a 03 1500ss with about 60,000miles. I'M new to the whole sports truck deal. When I purchased it there was a wide-band air/fuel gauge (phantom) mounted on top of the steering column. I don't think it was used for racing because there's no high performance parts that I know of. My questions: Whats the purpose of the gauge? Is it true that I can get more hp with changing intake filter? If you have any other suggestions feel free.

post-22984-0-22049100-1342576242_thumb.jpg

post-22984-0-18056300-1342660929_thumb.jpg

post-22984-0-66162200-1342660940_thumb.jpg

Edited by SOKSOFF (see edit history)

Well, the air/fuel ratio gauge is what is says. Mainly used on heavely modded engines so they wont lean out their motors. Changing just the intake filter wont gain any noticable power, but is better than stock.

Edited by RebelOne (see edit history)

^^haha. First off nice looking truck. Come on though u have to be pretty ignorant to actually own an SSS and still think or not know if its forced induction! Best of luck and x3 with what these fine gents said about the wideband, Def a must with a SC/Turbo...

Sent from my 4G Razor

No im not that green lol... But there are headers and it doesn't shut down at high speed ... Does this mean its been chipped.?

these trucks should never shut down at high speeds. if you mean a limiter i think its at like 115 and there are no such things as "chips" were not in the euro world its called tuning lol

A wideband isn't a must without a forced induction. Wouldn't be a bad thing to leave kicking around though, especially if u have a pcm that's been tuned. I'm sure if u googled afr(air fuel ratio) u would have a much better understanding of what exactly the wideband does, good simple reading. But like stated above it's a good chance the truck may have been blown(supercharged) before you got ahold of it.

Sent from my 4G Razor