Mount my new hood unpainted or wait till Painted

16 members have voted

1. 1. Put it on unpainted or wait till painted

• Mount it unpainted (flat black) until I paint it
    • Wait till it is painted before I put it on

Hey guys, i just picked up my new cowl hood and I cannot decide whether to go ahead and put it on flat black, or wait till I can paint it? My SSS is black, by the way. It may a little bit before I can paint it. I know this is probably a silly thread, but I am torn on this. Your opinions are appreciated.

If its just a couple weeks it shouldn't hurt anything. I would drive my DD if raining just to ease my mind. Won't look to bad either. Alot of people are leaving hoods flat black on purpose now.

I would wait. Test fit it the day you take it for.paint, but remember the cleaner a surface is the better the paint is gonna stick. Being flat it can absorb and oils from bug guts or anything else which can be inadvertently sanded into the hood if not prepped perfectly. That would cause for a sh1tty outcome. Plus matching hoods look better imo unless its an accent of flat black like just the raised center portion or something.

I had mine on for a month before being painted. The body shop is gonna have to prep it before paint anyways, might as well use it and make sure the hood fits. I had to do some modification on mine so Im glad I did mine early

i left it the flat black primer and drove it around for a good month and a half, its in paint now.... but after a few weeks the sun east away at the primer and it becomes chalky.. and looses that semi gloss/flat black look and turns into a grayish black

Paint it then put it on

No don't do that.

Test fit it, make sure it fits right and all and then take it off until it gets painted. I've seen to many people get a hood and pay 400+ for paint then go to put it on and it doesn't fit right. Week actually only seen it done twice but seriously it takes ten minutes to test fit..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Millersss (see edit history)

I would wait. Test fit it the day you take it for.paint, but remember the cleaner a surface is the better the paint is gonna stick. Being flat it can absorb and oils from bug guts or anything else which can be inadvertently sanded into the hood if not prepped perfectly. That would cause for a sh1tty outcome. Plus matching hoods look better imo unless its an accent of flat black like just the raised center portion or something.

I with Sam on this.