New owner, need help with front differential

Hey everyone, I found this website a few days ago through some google searches. Lots of good info here, been reading all weekend. I just bought my silverado ss last wednesday. On my test ride, I didn't really pay too much attention to this "humming" and now I'm a little pissed at myself. I thought it was just the tires....

Anyway, from the dozens of threads I've read, sounds like it's the front differential. I'm a little unclear though, in some of the threads, people have mentioned the noise is more prominent while coasting. The "whining" from my truck is ONLY audible when pressing the gas pedal. The slightest press of the pedal will cause the whining sound and it's like a light switch. I also don't get any grinding sounds at all.

Is this still a front differential issue? I took it to a shop right around the corner from my house and they thought it was the front differential as well. But they didn't do any "real" testing. They simply took it for a test drive. They gave me an estimate of $1600 to fix. Could there be a cheaper fix? Do I need to take it to a Chevy dealer to get a more accurate diagnosis?

Thanks for any help!

The symptoms can vary somewhat, from truck to truck, but it is a very common problem with our trucks. (Most common cause is bearings though more extensive failures do happen).

The drain plug in the front differential is magnetic and if you have a problem it will show itself in shavings attached to the plug. I drained my diff when I suspected it as the cause of rumbling I was hearing. My drain plug had quite a bit of metal attached. Changing the diff fluid quieted the rumble a bit but didn't delay the rebuild.

$1,600 is not too far out of line for the rebuild. I would not, personally, seek out a dealer but then I don't have an existing relationship with one. (On second thought; A dealer is likely to have the most experience in recognizing the symptoms your hearing, but it's not really too hard to chase down).

Best of luck and welcome to the site.

Thanks for the reply! Would I be better off replacing the front differential? Where is the best place to buy? I've checked ebay, but I'm not sure what I need. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to mechanical/auto things like this. Would something like this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-06-4-10-Front-Differential-Chevy-Silverado-Tahoe-Suburban-GMC-Sierra-Yukon-/290750193399?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b20fdef7&vxp=mtr#ht_714wt_1396

Mine is AWD, does this matter? The shop I went to said they could order a used one for me for $1200 so I'm wondering why there's such a difference in price. I noticed there is one listed in the classified section for $500...

The symptoms can vary somewhat, from truck to truck, but it is a very common problem with our trucks. (Most common cause is bearings though more extensive failures do happen).

The drain plug in the front differential is magnetic and if you have a problem it will show itself in shavings attached to the plug. I drained my diff when I suspected it as the cause of rumbling I was hearing. My drain plug had quite a bit of metal attached. Changing the diff fluid quieted the rumble a bit but didn't delay the rebuild.

$1,600 is not too far out of line for the rebuild. I would not, personally, seek out a dealer but then I don't have an existing relationship with one. (On second thought; A dealer is likely to have the most experience in recognizing the symptoms your hearing, but it's not really too hard to chase down).

Best of luck and welcome to the site.

Thanks for the reply! Would I be better off replacing the front differential? Where is the best place to buy? I've checked ebay, but I'm not sure what I need. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to mechanical/auto things like this. Would something like this work?

http://www.ebay.com/...r#ht_714wt_1396

Mine is AWD, does this matter? The shop I went to said they could order a used one for me for $1200 so I'm wondering why there's such a difference in price. I noticed there is one listed in the classified section for $500...

there is a big diff in the 2 the ebay one wont work

If it were me this is my 2 cents. Mine started at around 30k. It noticeable but not so bad I have to do something about it. I have 95k now. I just change fluid once a year and drive it. It always has some shavings. I don't think there I'd anyone on here that doesn't get them. If was gonna have it changed I would take it to the dealer. You will get a better warranty with them I'm sure.

So changing the fluid should stop the humming sound? I don't have any issues with grinding or anything.

i got the same noise as you do with no issues as long as there's no grinding or shavings you should be good with regular service ... as far as u say it related to acceralation you could have a bearing goin out in a pully that would be more common for your symptoms

mine whines like a champ all over the place $1600 is the cost of a rebuilt one (rockauto.com). I'm lining up parts for if/when it goes. 120,000 on the stock unit so far. Narrowed it down on mine with a chassis lift. fire up the truck put it in gear and pull out the stethascope (spelling?) you'll find the noise.

Mine is the exact same way. It whines when accelerating. My also started around 30k to 40k. I've changed the fluid and that didn't take the noise away. I finally chalked it up to the K&N CAI.

Yeah like I say it's just something I've been living with. It's done it foe 60k miles now no prob yet. I change the oil 1 time a year tho

That humming noise doesn't drive you crazy?! My wife actually hasn't even commented on it so maybe I'm a little more senstive to it.

So nothing other than a rebuild or new replacement will stop the noise? My issue is it seems like I buy a new car/truck every year or two so I don't want to dump a lot of money into it. Especially since it seems like everything is fine, just the humming sound.

It doesn't really bother me that much. I just turn the radio up a little. But as far as I know you can replace it or live with it. Pretty sure it will be fine just put some new oil and let er eat.