New owner, need help with front differential

Desrtrat's pictures show the drain plug decorated with metal shavings, and one of the bearings inside your differential, (showing wear that accounts for the shavings on the drain plug).

The diff needs to be removed from the truck and the diff case split in half in order to get to the bearings.

I suspect that your looking at between $1,200 up to the $1,600 estimate that you already have.

I changed the fluid in mine several weeks before having the rebuild done and the fluid change did quiet the rumble, somewhat. You might give that a try. It's not a difficult project.

Hey everyone, I found this website a few days ago through some google searches. Lots of good info here, been reading all weekend. I just bought my silverado ss last wednesday. On my test ride, I didn't really pay too much attention to this "humming" and now I'm a little pissed at myself. I thought it was just the tires....

Anyway, from the dozens of threads I've read, sounds like it's the front differential. I'm a little unclear though, in some of the threads, people have mentioned the noise is more prominent while coasting. The "whining" from my truck is ONLY audible when pressing the gas pedal. The slightest press of the pedal will cause the whining sound and it's like a light switch. I also don't get any grinding sounds at all.

Is this still a front differential issue? I took it to a shop right around the corner from my house and they thought it was the front differential as well. But they didn't do any "real" testing. They simply took it for a test drive. They gave me an estimate of $1600 to fix. Could there be a cheaper fix? Do I need to take it to a Chevy dealer to get a more accurate diagnosis?

Thanks for any help!

It would definitely be best to take it to the dealership for a more accurate diagnosis. Also if you want to PM me your VIN, I can check to see if there are any applicable warranties.

Please let us know!

Brandon (Assisting Tricia)

Chevrolet Customer Service

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a pretty good deal, to me, E.

Nice not to hear that noise all the time, huh?

Kind of bittersweet. Noises are gone, but kicking myself in the ass for dropping a grand in REPAIRS for a truck I just bought. Could've gone towards a supercharger or another UPGRADE. :(

Kind of bittersweet. Noises are gone, but kicking myself in the ass for dropping a grand in REPAIRS for a truck I just bought. Could've gone towards a supercharger or another UPGRADE. :(

I know what you mean; I had my truck a couple months before the noise started and the repair came pretty soon after that.

Kinda wondered what I had gotten myself into for a while. Glad I stuck with it, though.

Keep an eye on the transfer case and transmission. Other than that these trucks seam pretty tough.

So other than the front differential, transfer case, and transmission, these trucks are pretty tough? :)

I'm starting to regret this purchase already...My 20 yr old Nissan had nothing done but oil changes and timing chain. I guess it doesn't put a smile on my face like the SS does though.

So other than the front differential, transfer case, and transmission, these trucks are pretty tough? :)

I'm starting to regret this purchase already...My 20 yr old Nissan had nothing done but oil changes and timing chain. I guess it doesn't put a smile on my face like the SS does though.

Yeah, the smile is a big part of these trucks, for me anyway.

The transmissions last some folks quite awhile. It is a weak link when you start adding power boosters. There are mods to be made to the trans that will prolong it's life, starting with an aftermarket cooler and continuing on to shift kits.

The transfer case has a bad habit of a moving part, (internal), eating a whole in the case. The owners manual schedules renewing the transfer case chain at, i believe, 60,000 mi. and there is a kit available to stop the "whole eating" friction that would be easy enough to add to that project since you'll have the case halves separated to do the chain.

The trucks are still quite popular so flipping it shouldn't be too hard if you get too discouraged.

I have read that these truck were scheduled for a front differential lubricant change at 500 miles and few of them got that. Could be that that accounts for the high attrition rate of the diff bearings.

Regular maintenance can prolong the life of most mechanical things. An ounce of prevention, ya know.

Yeah, the smile is a big part of these trucks, for me anyway.

The transmissions last some folks quite awhile. It is a weak link when you start adding power boosters. There are mods to be made to the trans that will prolong it's life, starting with an aftermarket cooler and continuing on to shift kits.

The transfer case has a bad habit of a moving part, (internal), eating a whole in the case. The owners manual schedules renewing the transfer case chain at, i believe, 60,000 mi. and there is a kit available to stop the "whole eating" friction that would be easy enough to add to that project since you'll have the case halves separated to do the chain.

The trucks are still quite popular so flipping it shouldn't be too hard if you get too discouraged.

I have read that these truck were scheduled for a front differential lubricant change at 500 miles and few of them got that. Could be that that accounts for the high attrition rate of the diff bearings.

Regular maintenance can prolong the life of most mechanical things. An ounce of prevention, ya know.

Yikes. I'm at 100K, what else should I have done? If I'm not adding power does the transmission need any work? Will I know if I have issues with the transfer case? Anyway to know if the chain was replaced already?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I replaced both of the bearings on the third member. Passenger side axleshaft seal (which still leaks oil if not more). Both CV axles. Both wheel bearings. I still get the humming noise but not as bad. 170,000 miles daily driver.

• 4 weeks later...