upper balljoint/axle question

skolman91

need to do upper balljoints, has lowered spindles on it, nut isnt gonna come off without moving the boot. my question is if i take the axle nut off is there enough (or any) inboard movement in these axles without touching the inner axle bolts? or should i just expect to go ahead and take the axles out? i only need about an inch iirc...

I have never done one of our trucks but I have done tons of import front axles and they always had enought room to seperate the spindle/upper control arm, it might be tight but should work.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

not gonna happen here, im not sure if its that tight on a stock spindle truck, but with mine i can barely get a credit card between the upper balljoint nut and axle boot. the more i think about it, the more im pretty sure i will have to remove them, not that hard and will make life alot easier loosening and torquing them..

nvm was just seeing if i could save myself some work but no biggie..

Edited by skolman91 (see edit history)

You might barely be able to squeeze by it but easiest thing to do is pop the tie rod out, turn spindle fully, and remove the CV shaft without removing the spindle (just pop it out of the spindle don't have to remove it right off the axle. It'll take all of half an hour tops.

You might barely be able to squeeze by it but easiest thing to do is pop the tie rod out, turn spindle fully, and remove the CV shaft without removing the spindle (just pop it out of the spindle don't have to remove it right off the axle. It'll take all of half an hour tops.

thanks, i might try that.. thats sorta why i asked, i probably wouldnt of thought of that..

Edited by skolman91 (see edit history)