Help plz..Noise coming from my front diff

its making a grinding / popping noise from my front end..it seems as tho it wants to cease..I squeezed my truck into the garage and lifted the drivers side...the wheel doesn't have any play up and down or side to side but as i go to spin forward and back it free for about 20 degrees then it makes a scratching noise and stops spinning??? I love how this happened just as I almost saved up enough money to lay down some paint :banghead:

can you feel it in your floorboards when driving? Mine had a similiar symptoms, and it ended up being my wheel bearing assembly being shot. When driving, i would get a random POP/clank/ that was horrible. I like you checked for play, thought it was fine, but according to the mechanic, ANY play is bad, even just a hair, so check that again, if theres any play at all in what wheel when rocking it, my guess would be bearing.

Also, when driving next to a building, with the windows down, i could hear grinding metal too metal noises.

Bearings are common to fail on these trucks, so i would'nt be surprised if that was it.

You know I did hear some metal on metal screaching noises and I also figured it was a wheel bearing ...but as I was driving it home I went though a rough intersection at about 50 tryin to catch a light and it seemed like my front end might have got some good suspension travel. And after I went through that intersection is when it started making the noise real loud....and yes I do feel it through the floor board.....I really hope its not my diff

it was the hub :dbanana:

I had one go bad, once. The only noise it made was a slight moan going around a curve.

I guess that's why I figured yours might be brakes.

How did you figure out that it was the hub?

Edit;

I just re-read your post about taking it apart. Guess it was obvious then, huh?

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

Well when i lifted it in my garage for the first time i only lifted the drivers side. i was almost 100 % sure that the noise was coming from the drivers side. the following day after I got off work i got home and i pulled it out of the garage and lifted both sides and when i went to go lift the passengers side i noticed right away that the wheel had A LOT of play so I got in my car and when to Autozone. Now its good as new..

Well when i lifted it in my garage for the first time i only lifted the drivers side. i was almost 100 % sure that the noise was coming from the drivers side. the following day after I got off work i got home and i pulled it out of the garage and lifted both sides and when i went to go lift the passengers side i noticed right away that the wheel had A LOT of play so I got in my car and when to Autozone. Now its good as new..

Thanks for the follow-up, Jose.