Need Some Help With Brake Lines

Chevy2K5

So I was installing stainless steel brake lines to replace the rubber ones on my 03 Silverado 1500 4WD. 4 of them went fairly smooth. I was on the center line that goes down onto the rear axle and splits into 2 lines and I ended up stripping the thread on the fitting. I've never done brake lines before but I think I need to cut the tubing, put a new fitting on and flare it.

Is the tubing 1/4" double flare? I rented a tool from Autozone to flare it. I heard that this type of tool doesn't work great but I figure I only need to use it once.

Also, the employee at the local Autozone wasn't much help with finding the correct fitting. I looked it up and the GM Part# appears to be 15724652 and its description is "NUT,RR BRK FRT PIPE(7/16-24X0.36)(0.30 THD, .056 LENGTH, 1/4 TUBE, STL, GM7113M)(8.963)". Does this sound right?

Its numbers 1 and 2 in the pic.

021011TC04-692.png

Edited by Vortec-Z71 (see edit history)

The thread nut is 7/16"x24 pitch and it is .36" long appro 3/8". I sold hose and fittings for 16 years. looks like the hose is 8.963 OAL (overall length). Where do you live? I could tell you a shop you could take it to that would have the part and the ability to do this for you. Or you can go to BrakeQuip.com and find a shop near you.

Just reread that. You should be able to get the nut from any automotive store or hot rod shop. Single flare should be fine. Be very carefull flaring. its not very easy with hand held tools.

Edited by lgowen343 (see edit history)

The thread nut is 7/16"x24 pitch and it is .36" long appro 3/8". I sold hose and fittings for 16 years. looks like the hose is 8.963 OAL (overall length). Where do you live? I could tell you a shop you could take it to that would have the part and the ability to do this for you. Or you can go to BrakeQuip.com and find a shop near you.

Just reread that. You should be able to get the nut from any automotive store or hot rod shop. Single flare should be fine. Be very carefull flaring. its not very easy with hand held tools.

single flare WILL NOT work for a brake line just an fyi. I work at napa and sell thsoe lines on a daily basis. Also if you go into napa the nut number is 641-3298

Everyone ive ever seen ended badly

Oh I'm sure you have. I've been cut and coupling and crimping every type hose assembly you can think of. I've done it all. And not all work out for the best. I agree he should double flare, its the best seal going other than a back up flare sleeve behind the flare. They do it in all threads like JIC, SAE, JIS, JIS/BSPP, ORB, ORF ETC ETC. I can name about 16 more threads. I've designed alot of fluid power systems.

Look he was asking about brake line so i just put in my 2 cents to help a fellow member out and I also make lines such as jic and all those others that your talking about but thats irrelevant to his question

Edited by blick05SS (see edit history)