4l60e wont shift in manual mode but shifts perfect when left in OD

My buddy has a 99 trans am that will not shift out of gear when you manually shift it. If you leave it in D/OD it shifts perfect. Ive seen lots of issues the other way around, won't shift in od, but shifts manually, but never one like this. The car has headers, true dual exhaust, and 3.73 gear. I have HP Tuners and have made all of the changes for the gear swap and the headers. No SES light is on and its not throwing any transmission codes. It has to be something pretty simple, I just can't figure it out.

2BFAST, you helped me when we built the trans in the sss, you have any ideas???

When going from a roll on the street or when I go to pass a car, I don't like the violent downshift of just simply flooring it. If your referring to at the track, I leave it in D.

you can adjust that in the tune btw if you didnt know.

I understand I can adjust at what percentage of throttle it downshifts but that still doesn't change the fact that its hard on them. Every transmission I have had fail has started slipping when downshifting to pass someone or just raise hell so I started manually pulling them down. Either way that isn't my question of whats better or worse. My question is why isn't shifting. Maybe I missed something in my tune? DOes it go into a different mode when you manually shift it or what? It doesn't have the performance mode because it doesn't have a tow haul button like the trucks. I have only changed my gear ratio to the correct size and have raised the rev limiter to 6350 but I left the shift points stock.