Rebuilt Front Diff

E U G

A question for those of you who have had their front diff rebuilt due to the "whine". I had mine rebuilt a couple months ago and I've noticed the slightest humming sound at certain speeds. It goes away when I left off the gas. My wife can't hear it, so I'm especially sensitive to it since I'm listening for it and well, I paid a thousand dollars to get it fixed. lol

I'm wondering if this humming is "normal" or if it's going to get worse over time. The shop gave me a 2-year warranty so I'm not too concerned, but is there soemthing else that needs to be repaired?

Sounds to me like they didn't rebuild it correctly. Differentials have to be clearanced and torqued almsot perfectly. If procedures are not followed usually you will have some sort of issue.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

+1 on what Paul say's here.

I think that you should take it back to the shop and see if the shop owner can hear it. At least you will be on record as being concerned about the rebuild job early on.

How many miles have you put on the rebuild? You might ask the shop to drain it and check the magnetic drain plug for metal particles.

Out of both of my trucks, one being bought brand new, I have always heard a whine every now and then when going around a corner. I brought it up to the dealer and they looked at it and all said it was normal. The last truck had 142,000 on it and the diff never went south. Or are guys talking about a loud hum whine all the time?

When I got my truck it had 38,000 miles on it. It had a slight whine that increased over the next couple months to the point where it was a bit louder and developed a rumble that you could feel through the floorboard.

I haven't heard anything from the front end since getting it rebuilt, but, I usually have the windows up, A/C on, and stereo on.

I am going to have to turn all that off and give it a good listen; See if I can hear anything.

Can't argue with 142,000 miles without a rebuild. I have read that these diff's were scheduled for a front diff lube change at 500 miles, and that few of them got that change and that is thought, by some, to be a cause of so many of them needing rebuilding.

Mine never got a fluid change and was always ok. guess i was lucky.

I am surprised by that.

They sure seem to be a weak link in the chain.

I've heard of some going out pretty early on, and now your's lasting a long time. Makes me curious as to what the average might be. No way to find that out, I guess.

Thanks for the come-back. :cheers:

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

Theres about 100K miles on mine. This AWD drivetrain does make some interesting sounds at times.. And the front diff wines but its not getting worse at a very fast rate.. if hardly at all. Ive done the front diff once when I bought it two years ago. Back has been done twice just because I ended up putting new backing plates on and did the seals while I was in there.

I bought my truck this year with 37,000

Miles. Two weeks later I started to hear the humming. When I

Let off the gas the humming went away. My local Chevy dealership put new bearings in the front diff and it's been fine ever since. Cost me 800$.