Which 4l80 to buy?

I am getting ready to change over my 4l65 to a 4l80. Finally. Well my time table got moved up since my 3/4 clutches are staring to slip again. This is tranny number four so I have to get my swap parts now. Is there anything in particular that a guy needs to look for or say away from? As in, what 80e is better to get? I saw zachs tranny for sale, but I don't really wanna ship all the way up here. Any ideas and thoughts would be appreciated. I looked through the old postings of 4l80 upgrades, but unless I missed it, I don't see a post on the do's and dont's of the 80e swap. I also already have the new input for the transfer case so I don't have to change the tranny output.

I can't believe it only took four tranny failures to make me do this. Lol

Edited by Aksss (see edit history)

I did the swap about 2 years ago. it was easy. i went with a junk yard 2001 4l80. only thing i did was change the trans filter. It seems like a lot of guys put at least a shift kit in. I personally didn't in mine probably one thing I'll do over this winter. I two went through 4 60s before switching over to the 80. not that you can't break 80's but so far i have been very lucky and this bone stock trans has done great. If you can get ahold of timetokill use is conversion shaft. its better than the turn downed 80 shaft,

I already got that shaft from time2kill. I am excited to not have to change my clutches every year. I'm not sure if my trans builder is good or not. But most of my problems have been with the 3/4 clutch pack and the snap ring on the input drum. Which I understand are common problems with power. So I intend to just build the crap out of the 80e before I even put it in. Then I should be able to finally turn my boost up some more.

I remember something about the flex plates being different on some of the 6.0's. Do you know what they were? Was it the early 99 and 00's had a different crank, therefore a different flex plate?

I already got that shaft from time2kill. I am excited to not have to change my clutches every year. I'm not sure if my trans builder is good or not. But most of my problems have been with the 3/4 clutch pack and the snap ring on the input drum. Which I understand are common problems with power. So I intend to just build the crap out of the 80e before I even put it in. Then I should be able to finally turn my boost up some more.

I remember something about the flex plates being different on some of the 6.0's. Do you know what they were? Was it the early 99 and 00's had a different crank, therefore a different flex plate?

Yes I think the 99-2000's had the long crank 6.0L's. Maybe just go with a 2003+ 4l80e to avoid any issues?

Thanks Matt. I will try to stick to that. You don't have any sitting around your place. If you do, I'll be right over. Lol

Haha wish I did, that would be handy! Northwest might have a good deal on one, but who knows....

you can also buy just the spacer you need for the flex plate. then you can run stock flex plate. you will also need the 4l80 dipstick tube. the 60 wont work. you can get both of the from raptor transmission. scroll down this page you'll see it.. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L60E_to_4L80E_Swap.htm

I have looked through there and through those posts pt.net. Some good info there. I think I am going to build my own trans crossmember out of mine. Shouldn't be too bad.

oh no its super simple there is a few different ways you can do it. you can cut the cross member in 3 pieces like they have done and then add your flat bar like they did and just extend the factory one. here is how i did mine. we didn't cut it we just added some metal. worked pretty slick. i was quite worried about cutting up my factory trans brace.

IMG_6318.jpg

IMG_6316.jpg

IMG_6320.jpg

IMG_7334.jpg

IMG_7333.jpg

Your all good! Lol. I have already ran aeroquip 6an(I think it was 6an) lines from the tranny to the cooler. I run a big transcool cooler in the summers and I put the stock cooler back in for the winter. I was over cooling the tranny at anything below 20degrees. And since it gets -40 here that was almost as bad as overheating it.

And thanks for the crossmember pics. That's great info. I think I found a tranny about 400 miles from me in anchorage. It is in a 05 2500 with a 6.0. It got rolled and it only has 50k miles on it. They want 750 for it but I am trying to get it for 500 with the flexplate and converter. I plan on just buying a new precision converter like I have now but I will get everything I can out of the seller.

How much was the drive lines to have done up?

And thanks for the crossmember pics. That's great info. I think I found a tranny about 400 miles from me in anchorage. It is in a 05 2500 with a 6.0. It got rolled and it only has 50k miles on it. They want 750 for it but I am trying to get it for 500 with the flexplate and converter. I plan on just buying a new precision converter like I have now but I will get everything I can out of the seller.

How much was the drive lines to have done up?

mine was $370 for both shafts. but they have to use a new piece of tube on the front shaft because they need to make it longer. also your 4l60 AN fittings wont work in a 4l80 transmission. they are different. see one is long on the 80. the 4L60 ones are the same size.

IMG_6312.jpg

So. I just need to get new fittings to go into the tranny right? I'm sure there is a fitting that will adapt up to my an lines, right?

yes. on your current 4l60 you are running different line from the factory right? or are you running the factory steel transmission cooler lines?