Picking up a new cluster have a few ?'s

So I am buying a different cluster for my truck tonight and was wondering if I can reset the mileage on it to match what is on my truck or if I have to run it the way I get it. I am thinking about having it sent out to have an led conversion put in it so I was thinking maybe that guy might have the know how so he could do it. Any ideas? I'm sure it's possible just need to be pointed in the right direction.

The dealer normally does this. You have to bring them your old cluster and the new one so they can match the mileage and engine hours. They charge you for this even tho it takes them 2 minutes to do. Unless you have a hook up or know someone. You have to have the Scan tool to change the mileage. If who ever is doing the LED upgrade has that tool then yes he can do it. But you cannot drive the truck once the old cluster is out, until the new one is put in.

It is for the legal part of things. If you are caught with mileage being less than what the truck the last time it was logged to the state you face jail time. Its best to just match whatever mileage you have on the old cluster with the new one.

When I had my cluster replaced on a TSB, The dealership had to send my cluster to a Independent GM clearinghouse for programing to match up the VIN, miles and hrs !!! They said it was because of a Federal highway and safety commission legal thing !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think since it was a TSB they have to send it out, so they can inspect it since it is considered faulty. I went and bought mine, and the dealer did it in 5 minutes.

A technical service bulletin (TSB) is the most common type of bulletin: It provides technicians required new service information. It provides a correction to a specific product problem and usually contains repair procedures, information on part numbers and availability, and warranty labor code information. The body of the bulletin will describe the condition, cause, and correction to the problem. These are documents that designed for dealerships, not for customers. They are not the same as recalls and do not mean that a service will be covered. If you would like more specific information, I would recommend contacting your local dealer.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.