The SS is Down. Need advice BAD

Well Guys, on the way home today I stopped and got gas. When I pulled out I got in the throttle good and then we had some heavy pings/knocking, a funny sound, then a BIG loos of power. I went one mile and had to leave the truck in a parking lot. It will only fast idle, and sounds bad and it pumps water out of the overflow.

It did NOT over heat. I had been driving for 20 miles when I stopped to fill up for the weekend. I fear that I cracked a piston as bad as it sounded. The truck had been running OK, but with some ping when I pushed it, so I getting ready to do a SEA Foam treatment to address that problem. This is my DD so I am in a mess, and don't have a shop I can turn to. Hoping to find someone this weekend.

What small things can I do to make a good guess at this problem. I can't tear it down on the side of the road!?

Let me hear your thoughts or PM me. All my mods are in my SIG.

CD

FIrst Off Ouch! Sorry about your luck! And hopefully you can get a tow home or a friends house. to be honost sounds like you could have blown your rings or a ring. I know these LQ9 stock pistons can handle the boost but it's the factory ring gap that usually causes them to go first under boost. Are you running a Fuel Press. Guage? And if possible do a comp. check if you can? Could have been a loss of Fuel pressure causing the knocking and the instant boom under boost. Or could have been a head gasket that blew. But it could have blown between a water jacket and cyclinder. You should see a different color in your exhaust and hense the running like crap. As far as high idle. I'm unsure of?

Edited by KrausMotorSports (see edit history)

Yes, we got an update on the truck today. We got it towed Saturday to the shop of the man who helped to install the supercharger. He ran compression checks and found that #8 & #6 are leaking into one another. so a blown head gasket. This is the findings BEFORE teardown, things could get worse, but I am encouraged so far. He is getting pricing on the needed parts and I will know more about the cost tomorrow. Most likely both heads will come off and get gaskets to make things match.

CD

• 3 weeks later...

OK Guys, I got the SS back on the road today. The passenger side head gasket was blown between the #6 & #8 cylinder. When this happened raw fuel dumped into the cats and melted them. I had the work done by a local shop that I have used in the past and they did a great job. I had both heads removed and surfaced, the valves reground and all the springs and guides checked. Replaced the intake, exhaust and manifold gaskets. Replaced the cats with Magnaflow HiFlows. The other thing that failed were the Taylor wires. They heat soaked and just snapped off when we went to pull them off the plugs. I went back with OEM wires as the length seems to put more separation between the exhaust and the wires.

It sure felt good to get back in it.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement.

CD