winter storage!

lwudarcki

i just purchased my sss this spring and early this fall i noticed some small "fish eyes"/ rust bubbles near the rear fender. upon noticing this i made the decision to park it for winter, because i live in michigan and they use an unnecessary amount of salt on the roads. i am the 3rd owner of this truck and idk about the first owner drove it in the winer but the owner befor me drove it in the winter, but im not going to try to prevent the rust from getting worse until i can get it fixed properly.

i just bought a jeep cherokee for a winter car and i want to know tips/propper way to store my truck. obveously im gunna wash it but what else should i do?

1. Wash, claybar and wax it.

2, cover it

3. Add fuel stabilzer like Sea Foam or Stabil. I use Sea foam as I add it to the brake booster line to clean out the upper portion of the motor for carbon, Sea foam in thetank will also remove moisture, stabilize fuel, and clean out the fuel system.

4. change the oil, and then again in spring as moisture will form and make its way to the oil pan.

No need to jack the truck up, tires these days do not create flat spots like they did 20 years ago. I have had vehicles sit for over a year in my garage and no flat spots.

5. battery tender to maintain the battery.

Seafoam it, disconnect the battery, clean it, cover it, and store it where weather won't hit it. I use a steel carport a-frame with sides and two swing out front doors and the floor is lumber mill felt so it doesn't sit directly on grass or dirt. The building cost less than $1500 for a 20'X20'X7' plus I can store my boat or snowmobile trailer in there as well. After all sides and front doors if you do it yourself would only cost about $2100

Edited by 2003_SuperSport (see edit history)

ive never noticed it but the owner befor me said that he let it set for a little over a week and he noticed flat spots on the tires, ive also never let it sit that long. i had all intentions of driving it year round but after noticing the little rust bubbles i want to take care of that first, plus i didnt want to bother getting winter tires. it will be in garage, and appreciate all these suggestions, thanks guys.