new head unit and speakers sound awful

jon1178

I just installed the pioneer avph4400dvd head unit and finally got everything working but sound quality sucks. My stock head unit sounded much better. Is it possible

that the new head unit is over powering the stock bose speakers? With the stock head unit I could max the volume with no distortion now with the pioneer unit it sounds. like crap with the volume maxed. I have infinitely adjusted the equalizer it still. sound awful. Any help would be appreciated.

Well its deff not the head unit powering the speakers. My understanding is the bose system has an amp so that will be adjusting the volume of your speakers. What kind of harness did you use? The basic GMOS-04? Another question is...when you max the volume of your new head unit is it louder than the stock one? or is it still less volume coming out with distortion also?

Found this reading through the GMOS-04 Install manual. Looks like something that you might need to do. http://www.metraonli...GMOS-04_web.pdf 1) Start your vehicle and turn on the radio having audio playing.

2) Turn your aftermarket radio’s volume up ¾ of the way.

3) With a small screwdriver adjust the potentiometer clockwise to raise the audio level and

counterclockwise to lower the audio level.

4) Once at desired level your audio adjustment is complete.

Edited by TampaVmax (see edit history)

I must have overlooked that adjustment when doing the install. Yes it has less volume with more distortion.

I would deff look and see if that would help it out. I think what that adjustment is doing is adjusting the "amped" volume of the head unit before it gets to the bose and gets "amped" again. I have seen this cause quite a bit of distortion at times from car audio, home theaters, to using a PC on TVs. Give it a try and get back. Just noticed your from Tampa also. LOL

Edited by TampaVmax (see edit history)

Thanks that was it I must have overlooked that on my install. Now I am fighting with the steering wheel controls. I got everything wired up and programming it is becoming a PIA. stereo just keeps going to the max volume setting by itself.