What's wrong with TCI??

Everyone and their mother is saying whatever you do stay AWAY from TCI torque converters. But no one is saying why to stay away. I've had nothing but good luck with TCI products, reasonably priced too! I had a TCI street fighter 3000 lockup stall in my LT1 trans am with OUTSTANDING results. Dropped my ET by a 1/2 second! So whats the deal?

First thing is that the results of how much time you pick up with a stall is important, but no where nearly as important as whether or not it lives. If you were able to properly search the history on here all the way back you'd see that pretty much everyone that has bought a TCI converter for an SSS has had it fail. I am a fan of TCI products, but not when it comes to the 60/65/70E products. Trust me this info doesn't come from just one guy. There has probably been 20 or so on here over the years that has bought them and I don't think there is a single one that still has the TCI in their truck. They are a great company for the TH350, TH400, Powerglide, etc, but outside of that a big no. Getting the converter to hold up in a Camaro is easy since the car is only 3400lbs or so, but the converter clutch in them does not work even as good as a stocker when it comes to the trucks. Even on Performancetrucks.net you won't find many on there happy with having bought one. I'm not bashing their products as they are a good company, just not for this application.

I dont understand why people talk so much shit about the TCI converters just from hearsay. Even on other website people say they are garbage without even having experience or siting other problems.

for example: http://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/506567-tci-3000-stall-any-good-2.html

Well all I can say not trying to be an ass is get you one and good luck. You asked for help and the post above yours is from a professional tuner. Maybe you will have luck with it. But if a lot of people say don't do it I would listen. GL.

I have had two of there Convertors and both came apart on me. One sitting in the drive thru. I didnt have one last more than a few months. When I lost the convertor I also lost the trans due to it. Having 1 convertor go ok it can happen.... But two in the same year... Something isnt right.

I have had two of there Convertors and both came apart on me. One sitting in the drive thru. I didnt have one last more than a few months. When I lost the convertor I also lost the trans due to it. Having 1 convertor go ok it can happen.... But two in the same year... Something isnt right.

so what if it was the transmission that tore up the converter and not vise-versa? Did you contact TCI and send them back the so-called malfunctioning converter because if the converter actually "took out" the rest of the trans they should have payed at least partial damages.

Well all I can say not trying to be an ass is get you one and good luck. You asked for help and the post above yours is from a professional tuner. Maybe you will have luck with it. But if a lot of people say don't do it I would listen. GL.

That's the thing though. I've had the exact same lock up SF 3000 stall in my cammed LT1 fbody running very low 12s. I had that converter in there for at least 30-40,000 miles before i sold the car to get something else. Not one single issue.

so what if it was the transmission that tore up the converter and not vise-versa? Did you contact TCI and send them back the so-called malfunctioning converter because if the converter actually "took out" the rest of the trans they should have payed at least partial damages.

The converter and trans were were gone thru and the converter fell apart and took the trans out. The Speed shop that installed everything sent the convertor back and I got another one from TCI. A few months later the new converter started to come apart and then it took my trans out with it again. TCI replaced my built trans gave me my money back. I then went to Vigilante and havent had an issue. My buddy has also had a few of TCI's converters give him issues. This was alll a few years back, Im sure they have corrected whatever issue they had, but i wont try them again.

That's the thing though. I've had the exact same lock up SF 3000 stall in my cammed LT1 fbody running very low 12s. I had that converter in there for at least 30-40,000 miles before i sold the car to get something else. Not one single issue.