Front diff axle tube and mounting braket broke off......

Driving last night and heard a huge CLUNK and stopped and got out and looked under to see what i could see with a flashlight and the cv axle was hanging and there was oil coming out of the axle tube.

so my question is....i took the bolts out of the axle tube but cant remove the axle, do i split the case? what holds it in? and is it worth replacing just the tube or should i just replace the whole diff?

and the worst part is im 400 miles from home at my parents house and need to be home to start my new job on wednesday!!!

post-18747-0-12171400-1356909840_thumb.jpg

post-18747-0-69904600-1356909851_thumb.jpg

WOW! First time I've heard of this one.

Good luck getting home in time for the new job.

Check out this thread. It's an interesting project but aside from that reading it leads me to think that there is a C clip holding the long axle in your diff which I assume would mean splitting the case to get at.

Keep in mind that i have no experience with these, just doing some searching and studying.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/67528-another-front-differential-bites-the-dust/page__hl__%20removing%20%20axle

Here's my search result page. I haven't had time to study them all but there may be more useful info here.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1