transmission slipping again!

Since I installed the cam I had a local transmission shop install the hd2 shift kit and the 1-2 servo and my stock torque converter modified to stall at 2800-3000 then after a while the 3rd and 4th gear started to slip I got that fixed and today the 2nd gear started to slip aswell. what could cause this problem and what could I do to it to avoid these problems in the future? They did flush the tranny and I do have a trucool tranny cooler installed a;so I do sometime use the truck for long distance driving.

A slipping transmission can be caused by many things.

Low fluid level

Worn bands and clutch packs or mis adjusted bands.

A problem with the convertor itself.

I would start at the fluid level at operating temp and see if its full. If it is then I would go back to the trans shop.

Let me guess... its a 4l60? A shift kit and servos are not going to make your trans bullet proof like most think they do. They are simply a bandaid on a gun shot wound. If your going to hot rod your truck and do 30mph drops your going to need a fully built trans by a reputable builder like FLT. A built 60e should be fine for what you got for mods but keep in mind a transmission is a wear item and will break again and again no matter how built it is if you beat on it. If you made 500+hp to the wheels i would recommend a 4l80 swap nd problem solved but i wouldnt recommend it at your power level.

Let me guess... its a 4l60? A shift kit and servos are not going to make your trans bullet proof like most think they do. They are simply a bandaid on a gun shot wound. If your going to hot rod your truck and do 30mph drops your going to need a fully built trans by a reputable builder like FLT. A built 60e should be fine for what you got for mods but keep in mind a transmission is a wear item and will break again and again no matter how built it is if you beat on it. If you made 500+hp to the wheels i would recommend a 4l80 swap nd problem solved but i wouldnt recommend it at your power level.

Agreed, I dont know much about the internal workings of these transmissions but I do remember a few members her with maggies and the basice trans upgrades and there trucks have the original transmissions and high mileage to boot.

Good luck.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Worn bands and clutch packs or mis adjusted bands.

A problem with the convertor itself.

I would start at the fluid level at operating temp and see if its full. If it is then I would go back to the trans shop.

There is only one band in a 4L60E. If it was low on fluid he would have more issues than just a no shift 2nd. If it was in the converter, again, more issues than just a no shift 2nd.

If it does not shift from 1-2 then it is either in the 2-4 band, reverse input drum, or both. In my opinion when the trans was assmebled the first time with the new servo the servo travel was not checked and most likely was too tight and wore down the band and/or drum prematuraly thus causing slip on 2nd apply.

The way im reading this is you had the 2nd apply servo installed when you had the valve body and converter modified. This was most likely when it was set to tight. Then when the 3/4 clutch pack took a crap and the trans disassembled im sure wear was present in this area. Was this checked? Did he install a new band at the time of rebuild? If he did install a new band did he install a new reverse input drum with it? All of this comes out first before you can get to the 3/4 clutches.

Either way, either the band and drum was worn and wasnt checked, the servo assy was set to tight affecting these two areas, or both. Need to remove and disassemble again.

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)