True duals?

coal miner

Hi, im new to the site. I rectently traded my 2003 2500hd for a 2004 ss. I was wanting to upgrade my headers and run true duals, but i tried the true duals and no cats on the 2500hd and it really hurt the power. I want to run pacesetter headers (long tube). What setup will show me gains and wont hurt hp. Both trucks has the 6.0. I know i will have to have it tuned for the headers. I would really like to get ride of the cats to. Thanks!

Edited by coal miner (see edit history)

What headers do you have now? The best choice would be going with A X pipe, but you have to be careful on how large the exhaust is. You can actually hurt HP with a exhaust too large for the mods and engine.The muffler you go with is also a variable. No cats will actually help increase HP.

This is totally my opinion, there is proof out there reagarding Flowmaster isnt the best muffler. Many choose them for the sound.

I will not run Flowmaster due to the HP and Torque gains shown verse other brand name systems. I run Magnaflow, The muffler gives a nice deep sound and is backed by a lifetime warranty. I know many other mufflers also offer this warranty, but having to use the warranty and having them take care of me within a week.

I can give you the part number of My muffler if you like. I myself would go another route other than flowmaster.

As for the pacesetter headers, they are a decent header for people without a large budget. they can be had coated for a bout $460 or so on Amazon. I would highly suggest going with the coated headers or as Pacesetter calls it ARMOR coating. If you have a larger budget then Kooks, American Racing, or even Stainless Works can be options. Those headers start at about $850 or so and go up from there.

Then you need to figure out if you are going to get a Catback exhaust or have one made. Getting one made can be less expensive depending on how far you go with it and what type of tubing you go with. if you go with Stainless then you will pay for it, Going with the normal galvanized pipe it will save you money.

For the X pipe that I mentioned, you can just buy the actual X piece in whatever size exhaust you choose to go with for about $80.

This is totally my opinion, there is proof out there reagarding Flowmaster isnt the best muffler. Many choose them for the sound.

I loved my flowmasters and ran them on various trucks for years. But when I switched to the bullets I noticed a huge difference in acceleration and overall power. Plus my bullets are louder and deeper with my xpipe than the flowmasters were. Just my .02

There are so many ways you can go with your exhaust all depends on money, sound and goals for your truck. I am with Blown 346 tho the advice he gave would be the same as what I would say. I personally love my magnaflow with the built in x. I have pacesetters and no cats. 2.5 all the way. Sounds and runs great.

So if i keep my pipe dia. around 2.5in. I can run ture duals with no cats and i will gain power right? So I will have to reduce the pacesetters down form 3in to 2.5in? Have you guys ever used borla mufflers? I was looking at them two. One more thing will the pacesetters work with the awd trucks?

Oh yeah they work I have them on my 03. I originally had high flow cats welded on the ends of my pacesetters. About 3 months ago I took them off. Welded 2 three bolt flanges on and ran new 2.5 inch pipe back to a 22"magnaflow with built in x. These trucks have a little bigger than 2.5" pipe on them if I'm not mistaken. And I hear borla mufflers pretty good. The SS comes with true duals from the factory. They join together after the muffler. These trucks have a really good exhaust on them from factory. You could just take cats off and replace with high flow or not.. Replace the muffler and it will be fine.

http://www.borla.com...indual_out.htmlI just want to make sure I get it right...lol. I dont want it to be like my old truck and kill the power. Would I have to have the flanges or can I have the pipe welded to the headers? Who dose the best tuning on these trucks...zippy? This is the muffler I need. Do I still have to x-pipe it with this muffler? Edited by coal miner (see edit history)

2.5 in and 2.5 out. What most people do is buy the flanges have those welded on the headers so they can bolt and unbolt the exhaust pipe off the headers. if you have them welded then you would have to cut the pipe off the headers each time the exhaust has to be brought down.

The sponsors here all do good tuning, its just more of a preference I would believe. It doesnt matter what muffler you get, A X Pipe design will allow the exhaust gas to scavenge better. basically it allows the exhaust gas to flow more evenly and in sync with each bank of the engine.

Most performance mufflers have certain designs meant for certain applications, not just sound. If it were just sound the muffler wouldnt do anything other than that. The muffler holds a part in the way the exhaust will flow and the back pressures created. Too much back pressure and you will restrict the exhaust causing lack of power, too little back pressure and you will do the same thing with power. The key is to find the appropriate combination for your current setup.

Im not sayin the muffler you want is going to hurt you, as anything is better than stock. Just giving out more information,normally with Higher HP applications is when you start to worry about mufflers and back pressures etc.

Would it be better to y-pipe it, so it would hold good back pressure? I know the 3in duals on the 2500hd with no cats was to much for the truck. Pacesetter makes a y-pipe that made for the headers i want, maybe do a single in dual out and without the cats. All in 3in pipe.

Sure, The part number is thru Jegs... I bought mine back in 05 for $89.99. The price went up a bit since then.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/12469/10002/-1?parentProductId=

Here is the X pipe.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/10792/10002/-1?parentProductId=759589

Here are the headers flanges that have to be welded on the headers.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot+Exhaust/737/H7237/10002/-1