DD LQ9 build suggestions

OK, so i finally picked up an lq9 for my clone. Out of a 05 escalade with 66k. Right now i have a cold air intake and exhaust, but i also have a set of longtubes to go in with the 6.0. I plan on re-gasketing the whole motor, including head gaskets. I definately want to throw a small cam in it, but what else would you guys suggest i do. Maybe port the heads? oil pump? timing chain? etc. Like i said, its my dd, so i dont want to do anything crazy, just want a strong motor thats dependable. Thanks in advance everyone........ill add that my trans is stock for now, its 2wd, the rearend has the g80 w/3.23 gears, and its a 5.3 flex fuel so ill be swapping over the bigger injectors:)

Edited by simz28 (see edit history)

Simz! If you don't mind me asking. What did you pay for that LQ9? I'm doing a swap in my 86 Chevy short bed. Btw the gas mileage sounds awesome! Most I've seen in my ss was 17.5 being easy. After the stall was locked in of course. Also consider a 07 tbss intake for a ported intake. They make good power for future mods. And it isn't crazy expensive to do. Considering your regasketing most engine components.

Edited by KrausMotorSports (see edit history)

Actually scored the motor for 1,000 bucks. I really wasent planning on buying one yet, but couldn't say no to the deal. Complete drop out with pcm, too bad they broke the engine covers and hacked up the harness. Heads and the intake are out of my price range for now, even the cam is stretching it. And no matter what I do, it will definately be getting tuned!

When I did my cam I did new springs retainers and push rods. It's not that much extra and from what I read you want to get hardened push rods. I wanted piece of mind so asked a couple of the guys on here what route I should take. It runs great and I'm happy with it.