wires throught the firewall

Vette.SSS.SHO2

tried a search but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I'm sure its here somewhere...

looking for the best methods of passing wires through the firewall. I sent somethrough the gromet where the throttle wiring harness goes, but that was before i knew which harness that was. for some reason I don't like that idea. something about EMF in the vacinity of the throttle wires makes me nervous, or am I just being way too careful?

the big gromet where the factory wires go through. looks simple enough, I tried to pass a line through there to fish wires through, i couldn't get it to go through. i think i saw a picture somewhere of others who cut their owh passage way through that gromet since it looks like ther's more than enough room to cut a new hole in the rubber safely away from factory wires.

what's the best way? pics would be great.

thanks!

Yes through the bid rubber gromet.through the wires not the out side of the gromet. this is how i did it with a coat hanger pass it though and at the end make a fish hook flat and pass the wire, with black tape tape it up so when it passes it dosent cut any wiresand in the inside of the truck pull the coat hanger slow. it will have some tug to it but its ok. next thing you will have is the wire in the truck with out making any holes and safly inside the truck. thats how i did it like 6years ago when running the power wire to my amps. my budd at a car audio told me that lil trick that pays in the future.

I havent done this but you could always remove the grommet and the hole will get drastily larger, fish your wires through and then get some black putty that GM used to use to seal and firewall openings back in the day, I am sure it is still around you just have to find it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

your best bet is to take a razor blade, cut JUST as much space as you need- a single 'slot' cut from where the exsisting hole is towards the center, out away from the hole. this way, after you fish the wire through the grommet will seal around the wire. on the second rubber grommet under the dash inside the truck, it will pop out towards the rear. once you pull the wire through the cut front grommet, trim a circle around the edge the size of the wire on the rear grommet. then pop the rear grommet back in around your wire. this way your still sealed and no air/water will come in. the hole is just too big to pull the whole grommet out, and i have seen people do that- there is always wind noise when driving, the hole is too big for anything to really fill it in

Drill your own hole and put your own .25 cent grommet in. Especially if your running your amp power wire. That is what a professional would do... Unless its a little tiny wire then I would agree with coat hanger and electrical tape.

Sent from Rezound using Tapatalk 2

thanks for the help!

I've got 1 6awg and about 20x 18-16awg wires that need to go through. I might use a combination of making my own hole vs using the factory one. what's the best safe place to drill to put in my own gromet? any pictures? I have some liquid tight cord grips I'll probably use.

You can actually burn wires by pulling new ones overtop of old ones causing a short. So if you are going to pull through the boot, be careful and don't just start pulling really fast, take it nice and slow.

Sent from Rezound using Tapatalk 2