Heads/Cam package question

Texas_Veteran

So, I have a 2003 Silverado SS, and I'm thinking of doing a heads/ cam swap. This package came up for sale on PT.net. What do you think of this setup, and how much power do you think this combo will lay down? Any input is appreciated.

http://m.performancetrucks.net/forums/showthread.php?p=5062034#post5062034

One hell of a deal I'm piecing my cam package together now and ill easily spend over a G so good deal to get all in group. I'd jump on it if you want it. As far as HP might get around another 75 rwhp but that's just my guess could be more/less

What other mods do you have??cuz you'll need exhaust and tune if you don't already

Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

Just something to consider here, and im not too sure but it might be something to look into, hopefully

someone more knowlageable will chime in and clear this up, but just thought it was worth mentioning. 600 thou lift, 30 thou milled heads plus flat top pistons.... PTV clearance issues?

This was a duplicate thread due to my phone being dumb, but I live off of Lee Rogers Rd here in Hubert.

Sweet, My truck Is about 2 miles from you on Parkertown Rd. If you ever need a hand or need access to a shop or lift, let me know.

thats a good price on the cylinder heads, but its going to raise your compression an awful lot.. your stock 317 cyl heads have a 74cc combustion chamber and a stock 243 has a 64.5cc chamber, that set is milled 30 thousands so its more like 61-62cc. that would put you pretty high. do you have 93 octane where you are or just 91? if its your DD i wouldnt do a milled set IMO, id look for a set of 243s that are not milled. that will bump the compression a good amount. and NO you cant just use a thick head gasket thats just going to create issues, only use the 5 layer GM gasket (LS3).

IMO, i dont like that camshaft. it has small duration but an aggressive lift and LSA, so its going to be pretty choppy and have minor driveability issues at low RPMs. it also is going to make most of its power in the higher RPM range. since your NA i would go with a cam with a little higher LSA (like 114 or 115) and more duration, to get more power, more broad powerband, and better driveability.

Sweet, My truck Is about 2 miles from you on Parkertown Rd. If you ever need a hand or need access to a shop or lift, let me know.

I appreciate that. My truck is currently in a body shop getting a repaint, and having everything shaved off of it. I will get it back in a few weeks. Then it's time to upgrade the power output on the motor. I'm fairly new to the area, so it's always good to get to know my neighbors, and fellow gearheads.

thats a good price on the cylinder heads, but its going to raise your compression an awful lot.. your stock 317 cyl heads have a 74cc combustion chamber and a stock 243 has a 64.5cc chamber, that set is milled 30 thousands so its more like 61-62cc. that would put you pretty high. do you have 93 octane where you are or just 91? if its your DD i wouldnt do a milled set IMO, id look for a set of 243s that are not milled. that will bump the compression a good amount. and NO you cant just use a thick head gasket thats just going to create issues, only use the 5 layer GM gasket (LS3). IMO, i dont like that camshaft. it has small duration but an aggressive lift and LSA, so its going to be pretty choppy and have minor driveability issues at low RPMs. it also is going to make most of its power in the higher RPM range. since your NA i would go with a cam with a little higher LSA (like 114 or 115) and more duration, to get more power, more broad powerband, and better driveability.

I appreciate the help, and after talking it over with another friend of mine last night we came to the same conclusion that you did. I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to motor work, so I rely on those that are more experience with all the technical stuff. Thanks for taking the time to better inform me. I appreciate it.

I appreciate that. My truck is currently in a body shop getting a repaint, and having everything shaved off of it. I will get it back in a few weeks. Then it's time to upgrade the power output on the motor. I'm fairly new to the area, so it's always good to get to know my neighbors, and fellow gearheads.

I appreciate the help, and after talking it over with another friend of mine last night we came to the same conclusion that you did. I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to motor work, so I rely on those that are more experience with all the technical stuff. Thanks for taking the time to better inform me. I appreciate it.

So your truck is at Majestic? My buddy who runs their paint shop there just told me last week he was gonna do an SS.

So your truck is at Majestic? My buddy who runs their paint shop there just told me last week he was gonna do an SS.

Yeah, that is my SS there at Majestic. I looked around and talked to damn near every shop in the area, and I wasn't really impressed with most of their work. I went up to Majestic, and I took a tour of their shop, saw a lot of their work, and asked a lot of questions. I was sold after talking to the fabricator and painter there. I can't really remember his name off the top of my head, but he was tattoo'd up, and a great guy from what I could tell. So, we struck up a deal, and they are going to do a total repaint of the truck with a two tone, and a custom painted graphic to break up the colors, molding my BSER rollpan into the body, Shaving the door handles, tailgate handle and small holes at the top of the tailgate, flipping the tailgate handle to the inside, shaving the gas door and adding a flush mount pop-up motorcycle fuel door to the top of the bed rail, and tinting my tail lights. So, a lot of work is going into it at this time. Next is the interior, and then some performance mods. I also have to find a quality chrome shop to rechrome my wheels, and billet grill pieces.

Edited by Marine_SSGT (see edit history)