well tore into the rear end this morning and this is what i found lol.

built04SS

welll as yall know ive been having issues out of my g80 diff well the other night it finally decided to leave me on the side of the road so i tore into this morning and this is what i found.... also got my new gears today and my new detroit trutrack and all new seals and bearings... ENJOY!

2013-02-08_14-34-49_10_zps3eb57fbe.jpg

2013-02-08_14-45-21_998_zpsdcd45d29.jpg

2013-02-08_19-05-46_442_zpsd9342a60.jpg

MY g80 has been acting up a bit aswell. It was clunking when posi would engage, had my drivetrain guy look at it, and he said its got about 15-20k miles left... These trucks are money pits..... seriously. I lovehate this truck. I have to say my 91 chevy that i had for 12 years was better. The SS is more fun to drive i guess

Although after he drained it, serviced it and whatnot, it hasnt clunked since.. /confused

Hopefully your new rear end works well for ya

These trucks are money pits..... seriously. I lovehate this truck.

No doubt. I threw $5500 at my SS in parts/maintenance last year. Continue to justify it because no more truck payment and still have a badass truck. There's no truck, like our trucks. :peelout:

Good luck getting it back together and on the road!

Edited by tayldss (see edit history)

Yeah ima clean it and set it on the desk lol but yeah this is in my 02 reg cab short bed truck and i did the fluid change and it didnt work so i just drove it till it did lol but im in it right now at $850 with all new seals bearings unit and gears and new brakes and rotors and u joint lol.... . Id say i have a 201 truck just a 2002 body lol

MY g80 has been acting up a bit aswell. It was clunking when posi would engage, had my drivetrain guy look at it, and he said its got about 15-20k miles left... .........Although after he drained it, serviced it and whatnot, it hasnt clunked since.. /confused

Old crappy gear oil will gum up the clutches in the G80, usually a drain and refill with fresh oil solves that problem. He might have also shot the clutches with some brake cleaner to clean them out. Keep your eye on it, if it starts to act up again, plan on a replacement, you don't want yours to let go like the OP's did......

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Or let go like mine lol its pricey but id rather spend a few more hundred bucks on building it then buying a used one.... i know whats in it now and its all new and know its done right

That peace of mind is worth a lot. As long as you have to do some work to fix it I would rather know just what i had too.