Finally bought one

cdigg03

First off just wanted to say this site is now my go too on anything about this truck....Ive been looking at these trucks for sometime and really wasnt many in my area "lancaster pa" Finally found one in north carolina for a decent price 03 victory red with 62k for 15.5k ...Anyways I test drove it everything seemed sound, tranny felt good, engine sounded good and the body has some regular 10yr old scratches no major ones or any dents. The truck is completely stock which i wanted. So anyways i picked it up love the truck its perfect never had a truck..Whats anyones thoughts on getting all fluids flushed since i bought it used i feel its a necessary but read differently about tranny flushes. and whats a good oil, synthetic or no i drive about 20 miles a day short trip through the city.Thanks for any replys

Welcome to the site...Keep an eye out for meetings coming up with the guys from the Northeast. They all are a bunch of fun dudes. Hope to see you at some. I am from the Reading area. If you need anything, dont hesitate to shoot me a pm, maybe we can meet up sometime. Anyways, congrats on your purchase, definately sounds like you got a good deal!! Post up some pics!!!

Welcome to the site, congrats on the new truck and you got Red nice! Yeah any used vehicle I get I change all the fluids that's the best way to keep up with it, and yes run synthetic that's the way to go!

Welcome Craig.

There are some folks who feel that flushing and changing fluid in a higher mileage trans, that has old or original fluid in it,

can
break loose sludge and deposits that can then cause problems. I
haven't had any personal experience with this problem but you might
check into it.

I changed my trans fluid at 35,000 with no troubles. Any chance you can find out if your trans has been serviced in the past?

Wasnt really sure what to expect on posting in a forum but this is positive . Thanks for the welcomes and the advice.. with the whole synthetic oil im a fan of it I have a 06 gt legacy and run mobil 1 and its been treating me good..not sure about the service on the trans the car fax has numerous regular maintenance schedules but doesnt get into detail if im correct. I picked it up in gastonia n.c...I could ask numerous questions about these trucks but ill have to browse through this site before I start blasting you all with questions.

Welcome to the site. Its good to see some new guys coming along. There for a while I thought this site was going to start dying out. I wouldnt bother flushing the whole trans, just check the fluid, if you wipe it off the stick and its black at all just drain the pan and change the filter and you should be okay in that area. Just be aware if you drive the truck hard and start to mod it the stock trans could last you another 60k miles or less than 6k, its really hard to tell with these things, everyone has different experiences. Id go ahead and change diff fluids front and rear, put a good synthetic fluid in them and forget about it. Transfer case might also could use a change. A lot of guys will say to run the GM AutoTrac fluid but Ive found that to be a common mistake for the SS trucks. GM recommends the AutoTrac fluid for the AUTO 4wd transfer cases (aka push button and auto 4x4) NOT the all time AWD transfer cases. In our case, regular old Dexron-III transmission fluid is what I run and would recommend. As for engine oil, any good synthetic oil would be recommended but Ive always used Mobil 1, havent had any problems so far. Happy modding and feel free to post up or PM any questions, theres always someone willing to help out around here!

Zach