VOLANT might be history

SSAlaska

I think the stock box is very hard to beat.

I personally think the issues with aftermarket systems is turbulent airflow through the MAF. I believe that SOME do provide better airflow - it's just that they didn't do enough homework to smooth out the part throttle and low-speed stuff.

To me, when I do a N/A engine mod, I expect better mileage when driving conservatively. More power means you use less throttle to get the job done. If I made a different choice in cams that provided me with off idle torque, I'm confident I'd be in the 23, maybe 24mpg range right now. (as it is, it's soft under 1,500, so I lose a few MPG there - Down from a high off 22, to a high of low 19's)

I really don't see intake airflow through the stock 'box being a problem with most motors...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a crazy idea  :crazy:.  What if I were to install a small fan 6-8 in., in the location where the steel plate is that the factory air box sits on. Wire it to run all the time, And install something like a AEM. The AEM seals off pretty well with the heat shield, If a small fan was blowing air from under the bumper it would maintain a positive pressure forcing hot air out of the filter compartment.  Then you would have a constant supply of fresh cool air, and the open filter consept to provide less restrcition. Basiclly you are elminating all of the ducting, And bringing the cold air to the filter instead of making the intake sytem get the cold air.  I know this sounds crazy but just a thaught. Opinions?????

Sounds like someone wants to make their own supercharger.... :ughdance:

No, Not really. I am just trying to think out of the box, No pun intended. Why not bring the cool air to the filter? I am really happy with the cold air qualities of the volant, However I am disappointed with the restriction. Am I being clear about my idea?

Well, I would look at it this way - if you used a fan, it would turn at a certain RPM. At this RPM at let's say, idle, the fan might be pushing more air inward than is being required by the motor, but I think that eventually and rather quickly (1500 RPMs? 2500 RPMs perhaps?), the requirements of the motor would quickly overcome the capacity of the fan to supply air, and you would have a barrier to intake air, rather than an enabler. So I don't think your idea would work.

I am not trying to create a sealed enclosure with a fan blowing into it. More like cooler enviromnet for a open element filter to draw its air from. In addition once you are moving wouldnt most of the hot air be pushed out of the engine compartment? :dunno: If the first breath of air the engine takes is cool, Once the truck is moving the intake would naturally be drawing cool from the fender ports and from under the truck? :dunno:

Another, Thing I just thaught of that no one has mentioned is you loose the ram air effect with a such a concept. But we have no idea of how much pressure is generated in the volant box if any?

in reference to the "cold air fan" questions. i've seen studies done (can't find a link)that show once you get over about 20mph the air temp under the hood is only about 10-15 degrees above ambient temps outside. can a 10 degree difference in intake air temp really make that much difference in power, or, are the gains seen from intakes just becose of the open filter element? just wondering.

in reference to the "cold air fan" questions. i've seen studies done (can't find a link)that show once you get over about 20mph the air temp under the hood is only about 10-15 degrees above ambient temps outside. can a 10 degree difference in intake air temp really make that much difference in power, or, are the gains seen from intakes just becose of the open filter element? just wondering.

Not to mention the fact that the "cold" air is passing through a filter, box and plastic or aluminum tubing that have been heated underhood, and then through a throttle body that has been warmed to 200 degrees with coolant at engine temperature. How much denser and cooler do you think CAI airflow is by the time it gets to the combustion chambers? :confused:

I agree that it's a lot more about reducing restriction and pumping losses than it is about a slight difference in air temperature. :cool:

SSAlaska,

Your original post stated 40* outside air temp. :chillpill:

Then when you opened the top of CAI you recorded a huge increase in power on the buttometer. :driving:

Maybe the engine was lean at 40* :eek: and with underhood air the mixture is more in line with what the MAFS and the PCM can "jet" for.

Don't suppose you've done the throttle body coolant bypass? :smash:

Still may be air temp and not air volume situation :thumbs:

Just thinking out loud. :wtf:

Good luck,keep us posted

:seeya:

Don't suppose you've done the throttle body coolant bypass? :smash:

Still may be air  temp and not air volume situation :thumbs: 

:seeya:

SvtDriver, I am with you, Volant doesnt show any data stating how much of a differnce temperature makes, I am leaning towards volume over temp. I really dont know what temps. cause oxygen to deplete and if 10 or 15 degress would make a differnce.

Black04SS, I cannot do the TB coolant bypass, I live in Alaska, and I was under the impression My TB will freeze if I do. I wish they had more of an explanation of design on there websites. Volant's web site explains nothing about the theory of operation of there product nor how they were tested. I feel like I have been swindled, My kit was even missing parts.

I am not going to dump it just yet I am going to make a ram air kit and see how that does.

I read this the other day, Someone tell me how the percieve it.

Interesting

Take a look at number 2. Ever see anything else like this on a companys website.

I have the volant with ram air tube. I read earlier about the hole on the side in response to that the stock air box gets it air from that side and thats why they put a hole there. I got an air conditioner seal kit with the adhesive foam and stuck it to the box to seal it to the fender opening. I like mine over the stock box

Well, I would look at it this way - if you used a fan, it would turn at a certain RPM.  At this RPM at let's say, idle, the fan might be pushing more air inward than is being required by the motor, but I think that eventually and rather quickly (1500 RPMs?  2500 RPMs perhaps?), the requirements of the motor would quickly overcome the capacity of the fan to supply air, and you would have a barrier to intake air, rather than an enabler.  So I don't think your idea would work.

I think NakedAv is right... unless the fan had variable speeds with some way to match the CFM it flows to engine demands, sooner or later (most likely sooner) it will act as a restriction. But it's always good to think outside of the box, SSAlaska - that's how new things are invented! :thumbs:

I think its funny that all of a sudden (after the CHP research) that everyone is anti-volant... there was a time a couple of months ago where the volant was widely accepted as one of the mods you HAD TO DO. :dunno:

Everyone needs to stop comparing FI to NA... its apples and oranges... not the same thing. FI creates a number of variables that make some mods less effective... so unless your gonna SC your truck an intake is going to benefit your numbers. :smash:

I hate to say it but alot of you guys flip/flop like politicians! :nono: A lot of the volant bashers ( I won't name anyone in particular ) were EXTREMELY pro-intake pre-CHP-article. :sigh:

I'm not one of them who's flipped or flopped. Personally, I think 10-20 years ago there was a lot of performance and efficiency left on the table by the automotive industry in general, and GM in particular. But not any more. The stock box flows great, and so does the stock exhaust. The stock plugs are good. The engineering is better all around. You're going to get only marginal performance improvement by changing any of these things (of course this is my opinion, but it is shared by many professionals who have tested a lot of this stuff). If you really want the best bang for your buck, get a custom tune. Better yet, get an in-person, on-the-spot tune (dyno+drive), even better than a mail-order tune. Again, my opinion is that you will get much more from this than messing with either (or both) the intake and exhaust.

.... but you do have to admit that with exhaust/intake mods a custom tune becomes even more effective, even if only marginally. GM (or any other manufacturer for that matter) is never going to build a "perfect" vehicle... the parts are well designed, but theres always room for improvement. In the HP game every little bit helps. Even if the volant is only good for a couple of HP then its money well spent IMO... and HP isn't the only thing to look at... throttle response, efficiency, and sound are all things people consider as well.

Archived