VOLANT might be history

SSAlaska

SuperDave is right. With no numbers they can easily say your SOTP meter is inaccurate.

I wish I had access to a dyno, I would definitly try all of the configurations. :banghead::flag:

Why not buy yourself a G-tech or something similar? For the cost of a few hours of dyno time you will have a tool to compare your mods and estimate your 1/4-mi times.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wrote this letter to Volant.

Mr. Quezada,

I am writing you in response to a post I read on LS1tech.com, I am sure by now you are framilar with it (.  http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223789 ). I purchased the Volant 15953 kit for my 2004 Silverado SS from Tbryne Motorsports in August 2004. A little off topic, But I must say you should be proud to have TBryne Motorsports as a dealer for your product, Awesome customer service.

Now I am sure you have recieved many complaints about this Cold Air Intake kit from others. I have had little to no success seeing any gains from this product. It was installed per your directions, I have even attempted to use your ram air kit with little if any improvement in performance. The only way I have seen any improvement is when I remove the lid completly from the air box.  If you are having issues with the air flow on the 5.3 L motor, I honestly cannot belive that there are not issues with the 6.0 L motor.  Supposedly there is going to be a new Volant System for the Silverado SS, Why is it not posted on your website. In a sense I feel cheated if it is true that a new system is being designed for the Silverado SS. I would have rather waited for a product specifically built for my engine then a substitute. Are there any improvements going to be made to the system I have purchased? If so I would be more then happy to try them.

The over all quality of your Volant kit is great, I am very satisifed with it. However, I am disappointed with the performance gains.

Wonder if I am even going to get a response? :dunno:

Over a week and no response. :banghead::mad::icon_bs: Yeah, Great customer service. :ughdance: I would just like some sort of response. :mad::icon_bs:

I am making a elbow out of stainless exhaust tubing, removing the volant box and putting the largest cone filter I can find on the end of it. I will post my results with the g-tech. I am thinking That this would be a better setup. Any part numbers for the biggest K+N cone.

The owner of Volant has already admitted the airbox design can be improved and said the company will try to make things good with past customers. I don't believe it's a big outfit and they must be getting deluged with inquiries. :mad:

I would just give them a bit of time to do their work and catch up. If after a couple more weeks you get no satisfaction, then step it up a bit. :banghead:

There's never a real guarantee that you're going to see gains with aftermarket boltons. It's kinda hit or miss. We all really have to rely on the shared experiences of other truck owners on this and other boards. :chevy:

Having said that I would never spend much money based on a manufacturer's

unsubstantiated claims or someone's SOTP guesstimate of improvement. Dyno numbers, and track or at least G-tech times, are more reliable evidence. :D

Just my $.02... :chillpill:

I know when I installed my Volant I lost performance on my truck.

I wrote Volant a letter early this week asking if they would like my speed shop to test there new solution on my truck.

The speed shop I work with is willing to do a before/after dyno test with Volant’s fix.

I did get an e-mail back from Volant Customer Service, but they referred me to Tech Customer Service.

We'll see what happens.

How do you know you lost power? I installed a Volant when my truck was a month old, and I wasn't really used to the powerband of the truck stock, but I noticed an improvement in drivability, and power in the upper end of the rpm band for sure. I can't tell the difference in the bottom end at all, but can sure hear the throttle body sucking air better now! My trucks got just under 6000 miles now, 5500 witht he Volant installed and I might put the stock box back on to see the difference. I don't have access to a 4 wheel drive dyno or a hub mount dyno, so it will just be a seat of the pants test.

My truck is basically stock other than the volant and a superchips tune. Is your truck blown or turboed?

Just curious...

:pop:

I installed the Volant about 3 months after I installed my Radix. I noticed a lag in power and much more whistle/noise coming from the air-box/blower. I the power loss was from the seat of the pants feeling.

But, never the less I paid some $$$ for this air box, they need to perform as claim or it a fraudulent product.

Currently the proof is in the Chevy High Performance test. That was followed by Volant saying they have a replacement part that will improve or bring back level of performance to "As claimed performance."

The proof is in the pudding. If I don’t have the Volant replacement part in I'll run some dyno charts with Volant and get my box with a K&N.

Over a week and no response. :banghead:  :mad::icon_bs:  Yeah, Great customer service. :ughdance:  I would just like some sort of response. :mad::icon_bs:

The factory is all of 15 minutes from my house... want me to drive down and ask him in person? :jester:

Go get them Dylan, If you need some back give me a call. I am pretty pissed. :mad: If you can find out when their CAI specifically for the SS is hitting the shelves. :dunno: I feel ripped off, They should have released some info on when the new system was being tested and released. :mad: Lets see if we can all get something done. I might go out and get the SLP system. :driving::flag:

You really ought to install the factory set up and get some numbers, then try the Volant again and see what you get. I don't know where the Volant is losing power at.... cooler intake charge, larger volume of air, it ought to be peaches! Are you sure it's not a tune thing?

:banghead:

Charlie... I'm waiting for the Hooker Header fairy to drop a set of Ceramic coated long tubes on me and find a mandrel bender to build a one off exhaust with my own components. That will of course remain emissions legal and have true dual, high flow cats and pipes/mufflers. Gotta find some killer steel roll pan with exhaust cutouts in it too! :cool:

Archived