alternator question

mando28

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That a serious looking set-up. Have you checked on the price of any of them?

I have a DC Power Engineering 300 SPX alternator. 300 amps at about a cruising speed. I don't have electric fans but its on my list of things to do. I also only have a small system put usually have all 3 power ports in use and one running an inverter. It works pretty good and looks great Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Great looking alt. :thumbsup: Does it take a longer belt, or stock?

Double alternator setup is around a thousand. Which is more than likely not necessary in your case. New high output alternator will take the same belt.

My issue with dcpower is they make their highest output at really high rpms. Most of the time higher than the engine can even rev. Like that spx 300 making top output at 6000-8000 rpm. They have a spec sheet on their site. I will be going with mechman. Full amperage at 1800 rpm. :P

Sent from Rezound using Tapatalk 2

The spx makes it full output low. Look up DC power engineering on YouTube. They have a video of an alternator similar to mine in a bench being tested. Max output is around 2500 rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSILASmW-mg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

They should prob change their website then because its misleading. I was really dead set on going with them but not anymore. Also is dependent on ratio of crank pulley to alt pulley. We have a 3.2 to 1. Right on with what their online specs say.

Sent from Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Edited by TampaVmax (see edit history)

With a 3.2 it would make power at a lower RPM. Their numbers for 300 amps at 2500 rpm is based on a 3 to 1 ratio. I put over 350 miles a week on the highway and it works fine running stereo, all my power accessories and 2 sets of HID's

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2