just wait til it goes?

I had some real nice explanatory of my thoughts and whats goin on with this truck...wife called

And for some reason lost it all...so cut to the chase ..on these garbage front diffs, mines making noise

Just ride it out til it goes? changed the fluid no major chunks of metal

I finally fixed mine. It had the whine when i bought it. Changed to synthetic lube and it quitened slightly. Original lube was metallic silver! Nasty stuff. I had mine rebuilt and filled with Amsoil, and been fine since. My only concern would be if it finally totally bites the dust, you could damage your outer housing and have to replace the whole diff. But, from what I hear, they will run a long time before that happens. My original bearings were toast.

Yea I do agree with the if aint broke ...just felt when i bought it a month ago with 62k

I would of had a lil while before a possible withdrawl at the bank

For a repair ...ima just hope it keeps going like some have experinced..love

The truck and the awd though

I don't blame you. Like I said though, my diff grease was a milky metallic silver from all of the bearing shavings. Very nasty stuff! Mine had 92K on it when i bought it. Don't know how long it had been whining though.

• 2 months later...

I just got an SS yesterday. Its an '03 with 167k miles. New motor fron chevrolet 40k miles ago. But the front end is "growling". Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to pull the drain plug bc I had to come back offshore early this morning. (Yes I drove it the 210 miles to the heliport I fly out of) how could I resist lol. Ill pull the oil out when I get home and see what it looks like. I've read that some just make noise, and I've also read that if its making any noise at all, somethings wrong with it. I have no clue how long its been doing this. Whats a guy to do

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You sure its the diff and a wheel bearing? I had the same noise and thought it was the diff, turned out to be the front driver wheel bearing.

If the bearings in the diff are going south and making noise, the longer you wait to fix it it will get more expensive and rest of the diff will be affected until you have to replace the entire thing. I would rather spend $400 on replacing the bearings, then $2,000 for the whole diff.

FYI. Out of both of my SSS's I have always since they were brand new, had a front diff noise only when turning at low speeds, which is considered normal.

When are you hearing the noise? While driving straight or only when turning and at what speeds etc. Basically as long as you dont have chunks of metal coming out of the fluid you are in better shape than you thought. When the bearings start to fail, you will get more than the normal silver lining in the fluid. Dont expect to not see silver in the fluid.

It sou ds exactly like a wheel bearing. But I get no play on my wheels, which doesn't mean anything. After reading all this about the front diffs in these things, I assumed that's what it was. Its only when driving under light acceleration. Not when I let off, and not when I floor it. Cruising down the road holding steady speed, barely accelerate, it starts "growling", and will get louder/more intense as I accelerate a little bit harder. Idk I just got the truck and like I said had to come right bak to the rig. Didnt have a chance to mess with it yet. Plan on pulling the fluid out as soon as I get home.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thats exactly the same symptoms I had. The noise will get louder as you accelerate, my wheel bearing also didnt have any play and was tight as can be. My buddy at the Dealer had to use a stethoscope with the truck on a lift and the wheels spinning to pin point it wasnt the diff. It sounded like it was, but was the front bearing. Hopefully yours is the same thing.

Thats exactly the same symptoms I had. The noise will get louder as you accelerate, my wheel bearing also didnt have any play and was tight as can be. My buddy at the Dealer had to use a stethoscope with the truck on a lift and the wheels spinning to pin point it wasnt the diff. It sounded like it was, but was the front bearing. Hopefully yours is the same thing.

Wow man thanks for that. Its killin me to get off this rig amd go tinker with it.. see what I got ya no lol?