Best way to remove a weld in bung.....

Blown 346

Long story short, I needed a trans bung welded in my wifes trans pan for her trans temp sender for her trans gauge. I went to a old buddy who welded it for me. He welded the bung in backwards and the sender leaks. The sender was forced in the bung and somewhat stripped threads which is why it leaks, no matter how much teflon tape I use... I have a new bung and sender and need to know the best way to get the welded bung out without damaging the pan. I thought about using my cut off wheel off my compressor, figured i would ask before I do it that way if theres a better way.

My best guess at a fix would be to remove the pan, replace the leaking temp sender with a piece of wooden dowel, drill out the damaged bung with a hole-saw that is the size of the outside diameter of the new bung, (or very slightly larger), and have a different welder weld in the new bung.

In case you are not familiar with hole-saw's; You will need the wooden plug for the 1/4" drill bit, (in the center of the hole-saw), to guide the hole-saw.

There are different grades of hole saw's so you will want to study those in order to match the tool to the material your working with.

Good luck, man, and let us know how the fix goes.

My best guess at a fix would be to remove the pan, replace the leaking temp sender with a piece of wooden dowel, drill out the damaged bung with a hole-saw that is the size of the outside diameter of the new bung, (or very slightly larger), and have a different welder weld in the new bung.

In case you are not familiar with hole-saw's; You will need the wooden plug for the 1/4" drill bit, (in the center of the hole-saw), to guide the hole-saw.

There are different grades of hole saw's so you will want to study those in order to match the tool to the material your working with.

Good luck, man, and let us know how the fix goes.

Yup, this exactly

The only problem with using a hole saw the size of the outside of the bung is the new bung is the same size as the old one. The hole would be too large and it would make it more difficult to weld the new bung in place. The pan has to come out regardless as the bung was welded inside and on the outside.