Need Mechanic in D.C. area

Marzyn

Hey guys,

Like the title says, I'm looking for a mechanic in the Alexandria, VA area. Basically, I'm going to check out a 2000 Camaro Z28 that has been modded quite a bit but the guy selling doesn't know much about it since he got it from an estate sale. The title is good and clear according to carfax and I'm at least going to check it out.

So, I was wondering if any of ya'll are in that area and wouldn't mind making $20 or whatever you think is fair for a look-over. We have access to a lift and will be able to drive the car/lift it and check it out underneath etc. I'll most likely be looking tomorrow or Tuesday since, if it rains, I won't be working those days.

If no one is in that area, no big deal, just thought it was worth a shot!

Thanks,

Joe

I wish I was in the area, I love going over cars. I have been doing that for years for people.... If it helps Snap some pictures of the engine bay and underneath, suspension etc. I am very familiar with this generation as I own a 2000 Camaro SS, and have built several for buddies. Im willing to help you out as much as I can... Even though I cant be there, Pictures can tell alot.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/3685487740.html

And here are interior pics they sent me:

http://imgur.com/a/Cq5qz

I think I'm going to pass on this, I had originally planned on buying it and trying to part out the mods one by one, I don't think I'd ever trust it as it is since I have no idea who built it and if it was done right.

Not sure it's worth the time and money especially if I can't find a really solid mech to go with me, just makes me nervous.

Edit: I'm still contemplating it, but it's a daunting task lol. And I found a 26k miles '00 SS that is calling my name. It's way more but... virtually a new car.

Edited by Marzyn (see edit history)

It doesn't look to have many mods. Why part them out?? If your nervous about a car being modified I would stop looking at modified cars. Any car could have been modded and retuned to stock to sell it. Remember a lot of people pull fast ones and sell the cars as stock...

This has a full custom exhaust, he says the motor has been taken apart and supposedly bored & forged and who knows what else internally. Has the supercharger on it, 9" ford rear etc. a "supposedly" racing transmission, nothing stock etc

I'm not worried about buying a modified car from the cars actual owner, this guy however is not the owner and there were 5 owners before him lol. He got it from his cousin who got it at an estate sale/auction and simply doesn't know what's in the car. This is why I wanted a mechanic with me, if I actually knew what I was looking at it'd be one thing, but I'm a newb in this area :)

There would be no way f telling what was done to the trans or whether the motor was forged etc, without taking it apart..... Unless someone had pictures of the process as most due, and paper work, I bet the cylinder heads have never been off the car.

I'd call a ford dealer get part# for a 9in rear end or any known marking/stamping that ID it. See if it matches what's on the car that gives you a base start point to see if he's BS or not. As far as a trans hard to tell. Idk if companies like FLT stamp their logo in the cases of their transmissions(never purchased tranny yet) but it'd be something to look for if google the p/n you find on trans n see if it come up as factory. Then you know it's not quite racing trans but could have shift kit or servos. But like said before wouldn't know unless tored down. As for engine that'd be the hardest to tell what's inside beside what you hope people would do to accommodate supporting mods. GL deffentaly nota bad price as long as she all checks out deffentaly a deal

The problem with transmissions is most companies use factory cases and build them, so you would never know if it was built or not by a part number. FLT uses there LOGO on the trans. If the trans was built at another shop without a receipt there is no proof. Most trans shops paint the transmissions they build black, and normally the builder with put his initials on the trans somewhere.

As far getting a bore scope to look in the cylinders, you wont be able to tell if anything is forged without removing the oil pan and looking at the cranks parting line. The most you will see with a scope is the cylinders line hone, tops of the pistons and valves. Plus they are expensive. I doubt any seller will allow you to remove a oil pan.

I would pass on it, if there are no records and the seller has no information on the car except for what he said he was told.