Oil pressure after cam install

I installed my cam yesterday and she cranked up just fine oil pressure was at 40 but once she warms up oil pressure drops to right above 0. I reused the stock pump but now have ordered a melling high pressure pump to replace. Y'all think its just the pump or do I have something else going on. Cam is a tsp228 PAC 1518 springs. Should I go to a thicker oil? im running Mobil 1 5w30 now. Thanks

hmmm something is not right. Stock pump should be fine with that cam. Upgraded would be good but stock will work from what ive researched. I would just wait a lil bit for someone to chime in before you go and start tearing things apart and ordering things that dont need to be upgraded

Edited by THATGUYCRUZ (see edit history)

I ordered the cam gasket kit from tsp and just assumed it had the pick up tube o ring in it. Of course it didn't and no one had one locally. I just ordered a new pump, trucks got a little miles on it anyway. Just a little insurance

Edited by Ccanno66294 (see edit history)

You should have replace the o-ring. Use the red one. And you said you did a cam, did you do the rest of the supporting mods as well? Springs, Push Rods? Trunion upgrade?

My buddy just went through something similar but he didn't start losint oil pressure until a couple weeks later. Come to find out he used the wrong O-ring. I am sure there are plenty of posts similar to yours. I also belive there is some info in the "How To" section on cam swaps.

I started pulling it apart today. The O ring looks fine to me I don't see anything wrong with it. Checked the oil and filter and don't see any metal material in it so don't think it's cam bearings. I've read that the cam retainer plate is pressurized. Think that could be my problem? Could the pump just fail by taking it off? Am I maybe missing something on the o ring? I'm at a loss. I did new springs and pushrods when the cam went in.

It did have pressure on initial start but dropped to 20 within the first minute or so now stays around 20 sometimes dropping lower and if you gassed it a little it would go up a little but never to 40. Valvetrain makes a lot of noise like its starving for oil