To c-notch or not to c-notch?

asullivan

I have officially orderd the djm 3/4 kit, complete with belltech sp shocks and the belltech c-notch kit. When talking to the installer he acted as if the c-notch was unnessacary as I wasn't going low enough to need it. However I have read a few times in the past that those who have have gone with the a 3/4 drop either eventually went with the c-notch or wish they had. My theory is if I have all the parts already I might as well do it all at once. So is there any reasons as to why I shouldn't do it? Will c-notching the frame effect my towing capabilities? (Keep in mind I got the belltech kit that boxes in the frame)

Don't do it. I have the same drop and it rides fine. Yeah your going to hear from these guys c notching is the way to go, and this notch will make the frame stronger cause it boxes in the frame blah blah blah. You realize c notching is cutting part of your frame right? If it were a non SS I have no problem with it but being a specialty truck it might cause you some reprecautions in the future if you try to sell it. But hey it's your truck so chop away. It's not that hard to install later on. You can always go back and install it later if you decide you need it but if you chop ad wish you hadn't, there's nothing you can do about it

Edited by THATGUYCRUZ (see edit history)

Ive been c notching these trucks for over 10 years now. NOT ONE SSS ive ever had issues with the belltech c notch. Ive also had customers where they have been hit from behind bending the rear bumper mounts and frame ears and the notch has been perfect.

Also ive had many that have been sold after and the new owners had no problem with the fact that the truck was notched especially since the belltech kit boxes in the frame.

Trust me on this I think by far I have the best knowledge of the sss suspension and over 10 years of lowering them you have nothing to worry about.

I say why do it if you dont have too!! Im dropped 3/4 and have no issues at all. I think its overkill unless you plan on goin lower than 3/4 in the future, buy yeah it doesnt hurt to c-notch it, but why if u dont have to. I would just drop it first, drive around for awhile then make the decision after. Cause theres no goin back on that one.

I say why do it if you dont have too!! Im dropped 3/4 and have no issues at all. I think its overkill unless you plan on goin lower than 3/4 in the future, buy yeah it doesnt hurt to c-notch it, but why if u dont have to. I would just drop it first, drive around for awhile then make the decision after. Cause theres no goin back on that one.

I think that might be the route I end up taking. I am not so much afraid of reselling as I plan on keeping this truck for a long time, I'm just not sure I want to shell out the extra cash at the moment for the shop fees if it isn't nessacary. I do plan on hauling a coue of four wheelers every now and then (one in the bed and one in a trailer) but that would be the extent of it. It just seemed that a lot of people claimed that they had wished they had gone with a cnotch on that kind of drop, so I got it just incase.

If I had a c-notch I'd go ahead and install it. If nit it's just wasted money for buying it I the first place. I'm 3/4 and it close to the frame. I even removed the bracket on In between the bump stop and frame to get a little bit more room. I trimmed my bump stop as well and the rear axle still hits the bump stops quite a bit. With any sort of a load you will be riding on your bump stop and when you hit a bump it will be really rough in the back. Your already in there should just get it all done at once.

I'd install a set of rear helper bags before you make a decision on whether to c-notch or not, the bags might be all you need. I'm dropped 3/4, my Air Lift helpers are the best thing that I have done to my truck suspension-wise. Before the helper bags, my rear axle would always smack the frame over any bump. I run 15-20psi in the bags normally, the truck rides awesome. When I throw my GSX-R1000 in the back, I inflate them to 50psi, and the truck rides just as nicely. I can't speak for towing anything, I took my trailer hitch off. :lol:

Belltech boxes the frame in fully and the notch material is thicker than your oem frame rails. Have any of you taken the bed off of your truck before you can see the frame isnt that strong.

Like I said ive been notching these trucks for over 10 years. You have nothing to worry about do it..... now the other notches that only bolt up to one side I would weld them in thats for sure.

me doing a belltech notch on a customers truck. you have to take the bed off

39259_149775118371454_7381645_n.jpg

Edited by NORCAL SS (see edit history)

Yeah I've takeny mine off. Never said anything about it weakening the frame. I don't agree with notching these truck due to the fact that its going to de value it. If you try to sell it to someone who doesn't know it's going to make it stronger, it could make them not want the Truck. Dude save yourself the hassle and just sell the notches on Craigslist and put that money towards helper bags if your really worried about the ride. But again hey it's your truck do what you want. That's what we are here for to voice our opinions and make you see both sides of the outcome. In the end do what you feel is the right choice.

Spent sometime tonight under the truck looking at the frame, after seeing that the frame wasn't a full rectangular frame all the way through and then seeing how the belltech kit is put together all of my worries went away! I will be continuing on with the cnotch as planned. Thanks everyone for your comments!

Edited by asullivan (see edit history)

Yeah I've takeny mine off. Never said anything about it weakening the frame. I don't agree with notching these truck due to the fact that its going to de value it. If you try to sell it to someone who doesn't know it's going to make it stronger, it could make them not want the Truck. Dude save yourself the hassle and just sell the notches on Craigslist and put that money towards helper bags if your really worried about the ride. But again hey it's your truck do what you want. That's what we are here for to voice our opinions and make you see both sides of the outcome. In the end do what you feel is the right choice.

X2 I wouldn't do it I have a 3/4 on my SS right now and it's fine. If I didn't mind notching the SS I would be 5/7 right now.