Truck taking in water, headliner damp.

SilverBulletSS

Hey guys need your help with an issue thats driving me nuts. My truck is taking in water. We had a heavy two days of rain last week. Wednesday and Thursday. Didnt drive the truck at all. Took the truck out friday had to drop a package off at ups and noticed the box was damp. Checked the back seat and the seat back and bottom were wet in the center. Found a small wet spot the size of a small fountain drink lid right under the seat directly in the center. Also the carpet was damp along the sill trim on the passengers side. Dried everything off. Googled leaks for our trucks and found the 3rd brake light issue. Popped it off, put a bead of rtv on it and put it back in. Today its rained mildly all day. Drove the truck to run my errands keeping an eye on the backseat. All good. Got home let the truck sit a few hours. Went out to check and right rear corner is kinda damp. No water anywhere else. Just checked again now and the wet spot has grown and is very damp. The truck has an aftermarket sunroof that was installed by original owner. Would water getting past the seal travel all the way back there? I cant think of anything else...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by SilverBulletSS (see edit history)

I would suspect the sunroof. If you look at the picture of the truck from the side, the roof slopes to the rear from the location of the sun roof. So it looks to me like the water could run toward the back of the truck from there.

I would tape over the perimeter of the sun roof, with duct or packaging tape, (from paint to glass to cover the edge and gaskets of the sunroof), and run the water hose on it, (After drying everything up again), and see if it stay's dry. Sounds like you've got the third brake light sealed.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you figure out.

^^this

What does this mean? lol im lost, cauae if this offends someone i sure would like to know what it means.

This issue sounds like a headache. If it were me, I would probably take out the headliner and sit inside on a nice day and have someone hose down the truck untill I could spot where its coming from.

Im gonna start by checking the tracks and drain holes. Not sure if im going to pull the headliner as of yet. I want to call the shop that installed the sunroof also and see if they'll take a look at it. I've read some great things about them online. Lucky for me the receipt was in the truck with the original sales paperwork when I bought the truck. I did notice that the glass is sitting below the roofline and if I lightly push on it from inside it moves up about an 1/8 of an inch and sits level with the roof seal. Im wondering if it needs an adjustment.

Drain tubes are free and clear I was able to pour a cup of water down each side. But I believe the issue is the seal letting in to much water for the tubes to drain, hence the backup. What also doesnt help is my driveway is graded from left to right so the truck isnt sitting flat. Which means all the water is being forced to the passengers side drain and its not able to keep up and its back flowing done the track into the headliner.

All im saying is after years of sitting under trees, my drains were clogged and that is where I found my leak. No need to get all defensive

I wasnt getting denfesive at all i was agreeing with you say follow THIS to the OP.

idk what that &nbsp is i get that any time i quote a post since the site changed over to the cloud base server.

look at some of my other quoted post they all got it and idk how to change or fix it

What does this mean? lol im lost, cauae if this offends someone i sure would like to know what it means.]

idk what it is its nothing i typed and comes up automatically whenever i quote a post its outa my control

Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

What does this mean? lol im lost, cauae if this offends someone i sure would like to know what it means.]

idk what it is its nothing i typed and comes up automatically whenever i quote a post its outa my control

Then I apologize, "nbsp" to me is "no bull s### please".

Haha ur phone is getting u in trouble man.

Ok so I called the owner of the shop where the sunroof was installed. Explained the issue to him. He walked me thru a reset to get the glass to sit flush. He said if I should have anymore issues to take the truck to him and he'll see what the main issue is, fix it and clean the headliner.

Then I apologize, "nbsp" to me is "no bull s### please".

HAHA makes sense...but nah ive made the admin aware awhile back and nothing got changed yet who knows...and it only happens when im on a pc...my phone or ipad dont do it idk y