Help and Input would be appreciated!

TheDuke

Well i got a 03 SS AWD it only has 68k miles and i dont wanna break into the engine untill im done with going back and forth from schooling. What bolt ons should i go with? I have been topic stalking but i want the down to the nitty gritty. I am leaning towards headers, exhaust, and intake. I keep reading about the tuners and ecm programing. Im okay with a wrench but after 10 hours a day working on diesels im rather wore out. I wanna keep it simple but i want a few more horsies. Kooks headers? I've heard good things about them what do you guys think? I will probably do true dual cherry bomb and build it my self with either pro or elite mufflers. What has the best result as far as h pipe or x pipe? Cats or no cats? Then their is tunning. Fill me in please. All and any information would be greatly appreciated.

I think the headers, intake and a tune are a good start. Kooks makes some very good products. I myself like having the cats as it removes the rasp and popping noise. I think it sounds like crap and the exhaust wasnt done right. The X pipe is a great idea as it will allow the exhaust gas to scavenge. The cherry bombs are going to be loud. I myself like magnaflow, its subtle but has a nice aggressive sound, but isnt too loud nor too quite. Its tasteful. Alot of guys go with a mail order tune. I rather would have a live log street tune done as I feel it is more efficient in making power. Every vehicle is different with tuning. You could have two of the same vehicles with the same exact modifications and they both will react differently with the same tune. I find its best to have the vehicle logged live than to have it tuned off the mods alone. There is alot more power that can be brought up on the table with a live tune than a mail order one. I have seen it done all the time. I have also seen the mail order tunes, they work yes, but I have seen them have to send out the computer again to have the tune tweaked too. I always go with the street tunes and never have to go back. The mail order tunes are less expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Yeah cherry bombs are pretty loud but i have always stuck by their products. I love the sound and you cant beat the price. From what i have read kooks were the way to go as far as quality and reputation which im all for. I was wanting to keep the cats on because it would sound rather crappy around 3k rpm in my dodge 5.9 and i pulled the cats on it. So i think ill just plan to keep it on and yeah all the vehicles i have heard with x-pipes make me moist haha. Im not too hip on sending my ecm off and playing the waiting game. I think ill just lean towards the Live tunes so it will be a one time deal once i get everything bolted on. Thank you Blown 346 for the advice and chawkins6789 as well. Has any one had bad luck with these transmissions?

The transmissions in these trucks, the TBSS and the LS1 camaro's and T/A's are basically a ticking time bomb when you start modifying and making more power. With what you want to do, the trans shouldnt be an issue. Its when you really start putting the power down like with a cam and head upgrade, or a stall convertor that you will run into issues.

The best bet when the time comes is to upgrade to a larger trans cooler, get a shift kit, and upgrade the the servo. That will help the trans along the way while you save up for a built one.

Yeah cherry bombs are pretty loud but i have always stuck by their products. I love the sound and you cant beat the price. From what i have read kooks were the way to go as far as quality and reputation which im all for. I was wanting to keep the cats on because it would sound rather crappy around 3k rpm in my dodge 5.9 and i pulled the cats on it. So i think ill just plan to keep it on and yeah all the vehicles i have heard with x-pipes make me moist haha. Im not too hip on sending my ecm off and playing the waiting game. I think ill just lean towards the Live tunes so it will be a one time deal once i get everything bolted on. Thank you Blown 346 for the advice and chawkins6789 as well. Has any one had bad luck with these transmissions?

The autocal is a handheld they custom tune for you. And I am running the stock 4L60E from when I had a 4.8. I have intake, exhaust, and a nice tune. I haven't had issues yet. It put 325.1 HP to the Dyno as well. The little things won't hurt your 4L65E. I added About 100 HP when I did the engine swap and I am still running strong

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2