Temperature sensor not working?

harleygrant

changed all my plugs and wires today. Now I noticed my temp gauge isn't working. Maybe I bumped the sensor by the #1 plug??? I tried unplugging it and that didn't work. I am just wondering if I can buy one from the auto parts store. Could this be something on the cluster wrong also?

Thanks

I would usually say it's the stepper motor, but since you were messing around close to it you may have damaged it. Just look it over and see if you cracked the connector on it. Is the temp needle moving at all or just completely dead?

I would usually say it's the stepper motor, but since you were messing around close to it you may have damaged it. Just look it over and see if you cracked the connector on it. Is the temp needle moving at all or just completely dead?

Yes it moves to a normal position when I turn the key on. I start the engine and after a few seconds it drops back dead.

Okay, so it is reading for those few seconds it's on. Therefore I think it's safe to say the sensor IS working but the stepper motor is just being a pos and needs to be replaced.

Here's what I would do to make sure it's the stepper motor.

-start the truck and take it for a drive to warm it up.

-turn it off and restart it, if the needle jumps to where it should be when the truck is warmed up 95c (200ish I think for you Americans) and works for a those few seconds that you said it seems to be doing, then that means the sensor is doing it's job an that its probably the stepper motor.

The reason I'm sceptical of the stepper motor is because they tend to fail in these trucks, the temp sensors, not so much.

I had my MPH gauge stuck past 120mph, and it never fluctuated when starting. I had my cluster replaced, then went to fill up and the gas gauge did not work at all. Again when starting the needle never moved with the fuel gauge. Had the cluster again swapped and perfect.

I am not trying to diagnose, but just passing on info of what my cluster issue was like vs it possibly being a bumped plug like you mentioned. Hope you nail down what the issue is.

Okay, so it is reading for those few seconds it's on. Therefore I think it's safe to say the sensor IS working but the stepper motor is just being a pos and needs to be replaced.

Here's what I would do to make sure it's the stepper motor.

-start the truck and take it for a drive to warm it up.

-turn it off and restart it, if the needle jumps to where it should be when the truck is warmed up 95c (200ish I think for you Americans) and works for a those few seconds that you said it seems to be doing, then that means the sensor is doing it's job an that its probably the stepper motor.

The reason I'm sceptical of the stepper motor is because they tend to fail in these trucks, the temp sensors, not so much.

I took it for a ride and got the engine warm. Started it up the temp went up for a few seconds and dropped.

Question is: Can I just buy a stepper motor for it? How much are total clusters for these beasts?

I took it for a ride and got the engine warm. Started it up the temp went up for a few seconds and dropped.

Question is: Can I just buy a stepper motor for it? How much are total clusters for these beasts?

Temp went up to the proper temp? Or just maxed out and dropped back down?

In all honesty the stepper motors can be replaced, but it's delicate work, if you aren't good with soldering tiny connections I'd suggest contacting Silverado777. He's a member here that specializes in fixing and customizing clusters.

If you did want to do it yourself, I've only ever seen the stepper motors on eBay.

Temp went up to the proper temp? Or just maxed out and dropped back down?

In all honesty the stepper motors can be replaced, but it's delicate work, if you aren't good with soldering tiny connections I'd suggest contacting Silverado777. He's a member here that specializes in fixing and customizing clusters.

If you did want to do it yourself, I've only ever seen the stepper motors on eBay.

Yes, it went to the proper temp. It never went past half or near half at all

Then the sensor is fine.

I just unplugged the sensor and started it up and got nothing. No movement at all. I plugged it back in and got a temp reading for a few seconds and dropped to nothing again. This makes me think that it is the sensor....

Might just want to change the cluster and see what happens. If it's not the cluster after a swap, you know you have a new one in their that should not give you any problems. Then onto more diagnosing. Hopefully someone else can chime in to help.