overheating in chicago traffic popping fuses

tayldss

Ive upgraded to efans a while ago and now I'm sitting on the side of the road waiting for the truck to cool down.

Using the harness from pcmforless and fans from an 05 silverado, I've popped both 30amp fuses.

Having only a paper clip, I McGyver'd the new "fuses" and both fans worked...until the paperclips smoked and melted the plugs. Back to overheating.

Normally been running near 210... Doesn't take more than a couple minutes at a long light and its up near the red.

I was going to sleep at home tonight but now am looking into hotels.

Any ideas what could be causing the fuses to blow? I wouldn't expect oem fans to draw 30amp so could both relays be bad?? If so, does anyone know where to get replacement relays for the pcmforless efan harnesses?

How soon do your fuses pop mine pop every 4 months or so not enough to piss me off or leave me stranded so I bought a pack of 30 30amp fuses just so id be prepared. I called pcmforless and I guess they started making a different version of the same harness you might wanna call them they might swap out your harness if your having problems with there new one

I'm hoping it is just fuses. I've had the fans on now for a couple years and just this last month I've noticed it heating up but never enough to look into it.

Thanks for the tip

Mine did the exact same thing about 2 months ago that's left me stranded in a parking lot. What I did was cut out the fuse holders that came with the PCM harness and spliced in some better ones redid all the connections and heat shrunk it all. Then ungraded to a higher amp alternator and haven't had a problem since.

But it could be a problem in your fan patch also with the settings...

Replaced the blown fuses last night and they were blown again when I got to work this morning.

I found a few new relays here at work. I'm trying new fuses (again), one new relay, and the other original. Hoping maybe it's a relay problem.

My alternator was replaced a few months before efans came into mind so I've got the standard amperage... you think the higher amperage alt made the difference?

What settings are there for the patch? I had the fan patch added at my last tune but that was before I had the efans installed...

Edited by tayldss (see edit history)

The alternator on mine wasn't bad but when it's hot out and both fans were on at the same time the volts dropped from like 14.2 down to 12.5 and that will cause lots of problems. I replaced with a 145 amp I believe and now the volts don't move at all really. So you have a way of sending over your tune in email? I can compare it to mine.

Pcmforless did the tune and I don't have a copy or way to read it off the truck.

I'll have to put a meter on it and check the voltage drop. Maybe I've had the problem all along but am just now noticing it in hot packed traffic.

Ground connection looks clean. I'll look into it more when I check fuses again tonight after work.

Ive upgraded to efans a while ago and now I'm sitting on the side of the road waiting for the truck to cool down.

Using the harness from pcmforless and fans from an 05 silverado, I've popped both 30amp fuses.

Having only a paper clip, I McGyver'd the new "fuses" and both fans worked...until the paperclips smoked and melted the plugs. Back to overheating.

Normally been running near 210... Doesn't take more than a couple minutes at a long light and its up near the red.

I was going to sleep at home tonight but now am looking into hotels.

Any ideas what could be causing the fuses to blow? I wouldn't expect oem fans to draw 30amp so could both relays be bad?? If so, does anyone know where to get replacement relays for the pcmforless efan harnesses?

I had simular problems with my HPM E-Fans not working and blowing fuses. The problem turned out to be a bad connection in the quick disconnection between the fans and the fuse blocks,relays. I replaced the quick disconection with new one and there back to working again. I hope this will help you out.

I had simular problems with my HPM E-Fans not working and blowing fuses. The problem turned out to be a bad connection in the quick disconnection between the fans and the fuse blocks,relays. I replaced the quick disconection with new one and there back to working again. I hope this will help you out.

So you replaced all connections? fuse holders, connectors at the fans, and at the relays? sounds like an entire new harness?

Still haven't had time to check for voltage drop before the fuses blow. I've got an email out to PCMforLess too.

So you replaced all connections? fuse holders, connectors at the fans, and at the relays? sounds like an entire new harness?

Still haven't had time to check for voltage drop before the fuses blow. I've got an email out to PCMforLess too.

No just the quick disconnect between fans and relay,fuse box.

Got it working again! Heard back from PCM4Less and the 30amp fuses were for the ls1 camaro fans. My truck uses the bigger 34" truck fans that require 40amp fuses..which they are including with their new harnesses to avoid this issue.

I also noticed an occasional voltage drop at idle. So I may upgrade to a larger alternater sooner than later... Mine is only a year old if anyone is looking. Sell my standard oem to help fund the upgrade!