why would truck die without warning

Hey guys i need some direction. I should start by saying i put 54k on my baby in 14 months with no issues till now and keep up with general maintenance. Recently changed plugs n wires. Fuel filter air filter and the obvious oil change when needed. I was driving on the highway on my way home at 4am and the truck just shut off like i turned the key. All lights stayed on but that's it. Coasted to a stop and tried to start it with little success until i held it to the carpet she fired up. It spit and sputtered for a few seconds then snapped out of it. Lost cruise control immediately after this also (cruise was set at 73 when it shut down) drove about 10 more miles and beat it like it owed me money for a few. Then cruis started working again.... all went well till today it did the exact same thing doing 55 down the road then silence. Again it started with a little help but no sign of a problem before it dies.

Any idea where i should start the diagnostic session??

First how old is the battery and are the connections tight? Also did you clean the throttle body? If not clean it! My truck would do that sometimes an that was due to a gummed up throttle boddy

Also check you plugs and wires! Good luck

Edited by NoMoreSS (see edit history)

I had this happen to me years ago. It was due to a loose ground that would decide to lose contact, and the truck would die then re gain contact and it would fire up again. Check the grounds from the firewall, thats where my issue was.

I just pulled fuel filter off and its not plugged at all. Throttle plates were pretty nasty so i cleaned them. Checked all grounds and connections to battery amd alternator all perfect. The truck is super clean for having 170k. No rust at all. Everything still blue that should be and silver that should be. Not a spec of corrosion to be found. I spend just as much time cleaning in, out ,under the hood and under body as i do driving it. Leads me to believe its not a bad ground or loose connection im pretty picky with this girl and pay attention to small detail. I have always done my own mechanical work on my vehicles but this has me scratching my head a bit. I hooked it up to my scan tool and pulled 3 codes but all evap codes. 75% of electrical has been replced in this thing also but seems one of the few things that hasnt been is starting to fail. Never had a rig shut down like this without so much as a hiccup before shutting off. And after the little fit she has been fine. Im stumped. Maybe it was just the caked sh#@ around my throttle plates?? I drive about 200mi a day during the week in this thing would hate to have it on a flat bed!

The fuel pump was replaced a little over a year ago but that means it has about 60k on it. And the trouble is i would have to bring my pressure gauge with me because it happens on the highway but snaps out of it pretty quickly

I did Google it and it seems all the answers to other people with similar issues points to MAF and dirty TB. I just now let it run and ran fine for about a half hour till it spit and sputtered and finally stalling. I pulled the fuel line from the back side of the filter and turned key on to run pump and ran some gas into a bottle. No water.

When its running and i unplug the MAF it changes the idle only slightly and if i unplug the TB connector it dies almost immediately so im thinkin those are ok.

Only thing left would be plugged cats? But in the past when i have had trucks with plugged cats when it gets hot i can look under the truck and they glow orange from being so hot. This is not the case with me truck. I have read some things about HIDs causing issues due to the power they draw but have had them in for a couple years now. Only other mods is a CAI and exhaust. I dont know what else to check. Unless its a computer issue