A couple questions about injector swap.

I'm going to be putting in 60lb injectors as suggested by Zippy. I'm pretty amateur as far a working on cars, but these don't look too difficult to change. My questions are:

1. How do I make sure pressure is relieved on in the fuel system without having to start the truck up? I'm pretty sure I've read that there is a valve or something I can loosen in there, I just don't know where it is. My truck has been sitting for a couple days as I have already sent my computer to Zippy.

2. The injectors and connector adapters will be delivered tomorrow, but I still need to get some sort of spacers. What do you guys typically use for this and how many?

Thanks,

Alex

Alright. Fuel pressure: there's a schrader valve, it's on the passenger side of the fuel rail. Just unscrew the cap, wrap a rag around a screwdriver and the valve and press the little valve button open, the rag will catch the gas.

Spacers? So you got ls3 style short injectors? Or you need spacers to shim the fuel rails higher? To shim the fuel rails higher all you have to do is put washers under the fuel rail mounting points. If you got shorty injectors you'll need to buy the adaptors.

^^ Yep. Unless you have a Maggie, then the shrader is on the drivers side fuel rail. Little black cap with a "tire stem" pin inside. Just gently apply pressure to it with a pick to relieve pressure. Just dont bend it! Push straight down. The change will be fairly simple. Loosen fuel rail bolts, raise fuel rail off of injectors, and pull injectors from intake manifold. Lube up new injector o-rings with vaseline or dielectric grease and slide into intake manifold and fuel rail, just like the old ones. Then if there is a space between the manifold and the rail where the rail bolts screw into the manifold, instert washers until the rail rests at a flat 90*. Then torque bolts and make sure everything looks OK. Plug in new harness adapters and install PCM. Prime fuel system several time by turning key to ON, NOT START, then check for leaks. If everything is OK and no leaks are found, then go ahead and start the engine. Listen for any misfires. If you have one, a DTC should set right away. Shut off the engine and double check that all your harness plugs are fully seated. Piece of cake. 1-2hrs.

Ok... So far I've gotten the two fuel bar bolts off of each side. The problem is that there are things that criss-cross on the top of the engine that prevent the fuel bars from moving much. Any suggestions, or is that normal?

Also, I can't seem to get the injectors unclipped. Is there a trick to this? They have a gray plastic piece that pulls off, if that gives you enough information to help.

Thanks

Ok. Passenger side injectors out. The very immobile rail is just making it very annoying

Id remove the obstructions. Whatevers in the way, just remove it. Haha. Probably just PCV hoses etc. right?

I dropped an injector in the engine and it took me an hour to find :thumbsup:... but I did get the passenger side injectors swapped. Will be going after the drivers side (much more cluttered) tomorrow. Then when I get my PCM back from zippy I'll just hope I don't have any leaks.

Thanks for the help guys!

Its not that easy especially if you have a Maggie with a j-tube, I could not get my pass side rear fuel rail bolt in. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Hahaha i did it with a few hand tools outside in the middle of winter :jester:

My trans was out and I didnt wanna push/tow it in the shop. So i went outside and went to work. Haha. I had a buyer for the 42s so i had to go pull them. I installed the 60s in the nice warm shop though.

I dropped an injector in the engine and it took me an hour to find :thumbsup:... but I did get the passenger side injectors swapped. Will be going after the drivers side (much more cluttered) tomorrow. Then when I get my PCM back from zippy I'll just hope I don't have any leaks.

Thanks for the help guys!

Glad to hear you got it figured out!

I think I finally have everything in correctly; however I just noticed a small insulated pipe/hose that runs out of the top of the engine that runs off about a foot and isn't connected to anything. Did a accidentally pop something off? I can't find anywhere that it might go to.

Drivers or passengers side? Got pics?

It comes out the middle-top of the engine and goes towards the driver's side. It looks like it comes out of a vac port (same type blow off valve is connected to). It has a metal cap with a small hole at the end. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow if no one can figure it out.