Parts list to remove AWD

Please dont hate me for this fellas. I know my truck is awesome awd peice of art but I really want to do this and need more input. I want to take off the awd on my 03 silverado and pack it up nice and tight, save it for a rainy day. Dont matter the cost or amount of work, what does matter is that its done right so please help me put together a parts list so I can get started on this. So far I need a transmission tail shaft, a rear drive shaft off of a stock (non ss) silverado extended cab like mine and my buddy at the chevy dealer to turn off any computer warnings after I rob my horse of his front legs, lol. Seriously though, im about to do this but keep all the parts packed away so please help me and wish me luck, not boo's. Hahaa, thanks, rrroberson7805

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best bet is to find a rolling chassis that is already 2wd and put the body and engine on that frame and drive train. Whole front suspension and steering needs replaced I believe as well as the rear end upgraded to the 12 bolt. Like you said before you will need to get a tail shaft and drive shaft also.

IMO way more work than any benefits from the outcome. You would be better off to get a 2wd SS and be done with it.

I know a few have done the same thing you want to do but I haven't heard a good reason as to why.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Best bet is to find a rolling chassis that is already 2wd and put the body and engine on that frame and drive train. Whole front suspension and steering needs replaced I believe as well as the rear end upgraded to the 12 bolt. Like you said before you will need to get a tail shaft and drive shaft also.

IMO way more work than any benefits from the outcome. You would be better off to get a 2wd SS and be done with it.

I know a few have done the same thing you want to do but I haven't heard a good reason as to why.

^^^what he said^^^

Also the 14 bolt rear diff isnt necessary.

Sent from my Samsung GS4 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Yeah unless you want to run a 8 lug dually setup. The stock g80 rear is barely strong enough to handle my S10 that has one. The reason why they put it in these is because of the awd splitting the power. If someone is taking the awd stuff off I would assume that they are planning on doing a backhalf and race it.

It's a simple process, remove the front diff and components, remove transfer case and driveshafts, find a 2wd trans and rear drive shaft and doneSent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks man. Thats what I needed and not someobe tell me I have to do a body off transfer, geez..Im pretty sure I can use my transmission, just replace the tailshaft on the transmission with a 2wd tailshaft.

^^^what he said^^^

Really man?

Yeah unless you want to run a 8 lug dually setup. The stock g80 rear is barely strong enough to handle my S10 that has one. The reason why they put it in these is because of the awd splitting the power. If someone is taking the awd stuff off I would assume that they are planning on doing a backhalf and race it. Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Huh? Im lost on that one. A silverado ss rear end is not strong enough to work by itself? Is that what u are saying?

Huh? Im lost on that one. A silverado ss rear end is not strong enough to work by itself? Is that what u are saying?

I think if it ever hooked up, the rear end would fail very quick (if it hooks). I would definitely look at some rear end upgrades. are you going to be doing rolling starts or digs?

Edited by zayne0 (see edit history)

I think if it ever hooked up, the rear end would fail very quick (if it hooks). I would definitely look at some rear end upgrades. are you going to be doing rolling starts or digs?

The carrier should be upgraded. 04 VHO's had the 10 bolt. I still run the 10 bolt with my 6.0 and I'm 2wd. It can handle the power. I dont have the G80 though

Sent from my Samsung GS4 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Thanks man. Thats what I needed and not someobe tell me I have to do a body off transfer, geez..Im pretty sure I can use my transmission, just replace the tailshaft on the transmission with a 2wd tailshaft.

Really man?

^^^^ haha yeah all he does is just post non sense just to get his post count up!! Lol

In a side not good luck on the build and let us know how it works out for you.