Parts list to remove AWD

Yeah unless you want to run a 8 lug dually setup. The stock g80 rear is barely strong enough to handle my S10 that has one. The reason why they put it in these is because of the awd splitting the power. If someone is taking the awd stuff off I would assume that they are planning on doing a backhalf and race it. Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2Huh? Im lost on that one. A silverado ss rear end is not strong enough to work by itself? Is that what u are saying?

The quote I was replying to said that an upgrade to a 14 bolt which is a 8 lug diff. I was talking about a 12 bolt that the 2wd SS trucks came with. Hence the reason why they put the bigger stronger diff in them.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man. Thats what I needed and not someobe tell me I have to do a body off transfer, geez..Im pretty sure I can use my transmission, just replace the tailshaft on the transmission with a 2wd tailshaft.

Really man?

^^^^ haha yeah all he does is just post non sense just to get his post count up!! Lol

In a side not good luck on the build and let us know how it works out for you.

Hope your joking!

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

^^^^ haha yeah all he does is just post non sense just to get his post count up!! Lol

In a side not good luck on the build and let us know how it works out for you.

will do. I have a mechanic buddy at the chevy dealer and he is the one who is actually going to do the work and he seid I need to get a tailshaft off a 2wd trans so I dont think he will have to open the trans and hope not also because it was rebuilt last year and is under warranty. One shady mechanic at the tire store told me that doing the awd to 2wd would require new spindle because without the cv axle the front wheels will fall off.The nut in front of the hub is screwed to the cv joint right? Im thinking leaving that nut and first chunk(whatever the big ass screw is about) and keeping the hub on with the original nut and screw right through the middle. I know im not mechanically inclined guys so please bare with me. I am trying to learn here so help a fellow SS'er out :-)

The trans will still have to be opened to get to the snap ring that holds the out put shaft in place... You will also need a 2wd output shaft, which us longer than the awd one. It will be easier to just repair your front diff at this point.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4

The 2WD SS never came with a 12 bolt it's a 14 bolt.

yeup unless hes referring to the 454SS which came with 12 bolts

This is why its stupid calling a rear end by the number bolts the cover has.... The gm 8.6 has a 10 bolt cover with a 10 bolt carrier the 9.5" rear has a 14 bolt cover with a 12 bolt carrier. hence all the cp.fusionSent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 4

That was my bad for not clarifying my earlier post. I didn't think most people went by the number of bolts for the cover. Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

That's how it is on the other forum I am on. I must admit I didn't know the ring mounted to the carrier with 12 bolts on the 9.5".

Truck now sits in the driveway until this is done. Front diff makes a loud poppin noise if I give it any throttle at all. Please help me get this awd crap off my truck so I can drive it again. This is my transportation to work so if anyone knows a quick fix to remove awd would be great.